GSP/Brackish help

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
jguajardo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP/Brackish help

Post by jguajardo »

Hi!

After extensive research and falling for the adorable gsp, i've decided to commit and get one. I went to my lfs where they actually had gsps in a brackish tank. Amazing right? :p

Anyways I went against my own plan and listened to my lfs and cycled with mollies. Once i'm fully cycled my lfs is allowing me to trade in the mollies for my gsp. Used tetra safe start, just waiting for my ammonia to drop down to zero (at .25ppm currently). I have 10ppm nitrates and no nitrites. Didn't see nitrites the whole cycle so I assume the spike was rapid because i've been impatiently testing everday :D

So I just have a couple of questions before I purchase my puffer.

1) I'm cycling with freshwater because I do not have a refractometer yet (planning to order) and the guy at my lfs said that I should wait and allow bacteria to build then add salt. Won't the salt kill the bacteria? Also, can I slowly acclimate my puffer to freshwater, then raise the sg over time?

2) Are hydrometers okay to use? I was thinking I could purchase one until I order a refractometer online to start transitioning.

3)Is a gravel substrate okay for gsps? I know they have sensitive skin so I want to make sure I can offer my puffer the best environment.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I go about everything the right way. Thanks!!
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: GSP/Brackish help

Post by Master of Puffers »

jguajardo wrote:Hi!

After extensive research and falling for the adorable gsp, i've decided to commit and get one. I went to my lfs where they actually had gsps in a brackish tank. Amazing right? :p

Anyways I went against my own plan and listened to my lfs and cycled with mollies. Once i'm fully cycled my lfs is allowing me to trade in the mollies for my gsp. Used tetra safe start, just waiting for my ammonia to drop down to zero (at .25ppm currently). I have 10ppm nitrates and no nitrites. Didn't see nitrites the whole cycle so I assume the spike was rapid because i've been impatiently testing everday :D

1) I'm cycling with freshwater because I do not have a refractometer yet (planning to order) and the guy at my lfs said that I should wait and allow bacteria to build then add salt. Won't the salt kill the bacteria? Also, can I slowly acclimate my puffer to freshwater, then raise the sg over time?
Do you know the sg of the brackish water the LFS has?? I have started in FW and slowly upped the salt to a moderate brackish /low end marine level. I have seeded my tanks with water from a marine tank to speed up the benefical bacterial biomass.

2) Are hydrometers okay to use? I was thinking I could purchase one until I order a refractometer online to start transitioning.
I've used both but found hydrometers are less accurate at low saline levels.

3)Is a gravel substrate okay for gsps? I know they have sensitive skin so I want to make sure I can offer my puffer the best environment.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I go about everything the right way. Thanks!!

Depending on the size of the gravel, it can be okay as a substreate, but I find sand better in a more saline enviroment..
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Aragonite sand is best & will keep the pH steady, around 8.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jguajardo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by jguajardo »

My lfs keeps their sg at 1.005. How slowly should I raise the sg? Thanks!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

jguajardo wrote:Hi!

-1) Tetra Safestart should have instantly cycled your tank so ammonia should be zero; do you have a problem with your tap water? If your tap water checks out ok then it hasn't helped an you are at the beginning of your cycle.

1) Small changes in salinity will not kill the bacteria, the normal recommendation is to change by no more than SG0.002 per week. GSP's will tolerate FW for short periods but once cycled you could up your salinity to SG1.002 (or better yet wait until you can match the LFS salinity for less stress in the transition) before you get him/her. I'd advise returning the mollies so they don't have to swim in ammonia and fishless cycle until your tank is ready for the puffer.
2) Hydrometers (if they read down to SG1.001) are fine with brackish water fish as the fish can tolerate varying degrees of salinity, a more accurate refractometer will be required if or when you move to marine conditions.
3) Aragonite or coral sand would be best.