New Puffer Mom

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
szumis
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New Puffer Mom

Post by szumis »

Hello everyone,

I recently rescued a GSP from my boyfriend's freshwater tank with many guppies and mollies and put him in my brackish tank. I KNOW it's too small I'm only waiting for the larger tank to cycle. I had gobies but unfortunatly they were poisoned by a piece of Malaysian drift wood (I think). I haven't had him more than a few days and he seems to be doing alright. I'm sure he will be much happier in the larger tank. I've done an absurd amount of research so I think I can keep little Norman happy for a good long while. I do plan on transitioning him to full marine at some point. When should I do that? He's only about an inch and a half long now. Are there any other marine fish he can live with without harrassing them to death?
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: New Puffer Mom

Post by RTR »

The optimum timing for shifting to fully marine conditions is uncertain - we do not have enough data to be sure. So it boils down to personal choice. If you plan on FOWLR I'd say go ahead whenever you are ready to do the permanent home for the fish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
szumis
Puffer Fry

Post by szumis »

I was planning on a FOWLR tank but is it possibly for him to do well in a reef setting? Just curious.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Unlikely. The gsp will bite/chew or eat most things including coral
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to Bertie's comment. GSPs do not belong in a reef tank. It would provide rather expensive food for the fish...
Where's the fish? - Neptune
szumis
Puffer Fry

Post by szumis »

I assumed as much. I had someone telling me they thought that would work. I didn't think that was right. Thank you for affirming that.