GSP, F8, Ceylon puffers

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
LilPuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

GSP, F8, Ceylon puffers

Post by LilPuff »

Hi,

Please can you confirm if these species need to be kept with others of their own kind? I am happy to have a single puffer but I will get more than one if they are going to be happier in a group. I have heard mixed opinions on the matter, and from what I have read I was thinking that the safest approach is to house a single specimen in a generously sized tank rather than risk fighting when they reach maturity.

Any replies would be really welcome.

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP, F8, Ceylon puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

The only species that is happier in a group, is the South American puffer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Thank you Pufferpunk.

Would a single Ceylon be ok in a 170 litre 100cm tank? (Eheim ecco pro 2234 external filter at the moment and will be adding a second one later).

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, that is large enough to house a single Ceylon. Here in the US, we have 55 gallon tanks that fit 1 perfectly!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Thank you. I'm only just getting my head around US gallons, imperial gallons and litres - lots of googling conversions, haha!
Also compliments on the site, it has been very useful for my puffer research. Currently cycling and maturing my tank so I'm still deciding on which puff to put in it :)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. 4l = 1usg 4.5l = 1 uk gallon. Weird that one gal can equate to 2 different measurements. Where abouts are you from?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Hi Bertie, thanks for the welcome.

Yeah that's the bit that's confusing, people don't always say whether they mean US or imperial gallons either, and even though it's not a big difference I like to be accurate :)

I'm in Bristol, I have been touring all the local aquatics centres the last few weeks and scouring the internet for puffer info!

Do you agree that a single GSP or Ceylon is ok? I'm in a puffer group on facebook and there's a few people telling me I need at least a pair which doesn't seem to tally with the other info I've read, so I'm asking around for people's experiences and opinions. The last thing I want is to get two and end up with fighting or overstocking issues!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Look in our pufferpedia it's the best source for info. Singleton puffers are more personable, the only exception is South American puffers. Always base minimum tank sizes on what our American friends state because that is minimum, in which case our tank gallonage is slightly bigger if that makes sense? After all bigger is better where fish tanks are concerned. Spent a lot of time In Bristol in my younger years and still have family there. Once again welcome
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Yeah that is a good way to do it, I have been converting my litres to us gal to err on the side of caution so I guess I should just forget about imperial and stop confusing myself!

Is that a fahaka in your picture? One of my LFS has a baby one at the moment and he's so lovely, if I had the space for a big enough tank he'd be coming home with me.

Have you kept GSP and Ceylon? I know there's not a huge amount of difference but do you think I should go for one over the other? Its hard to decide because I haven't seen them in the flesh yet as I will have to get the LFS to order them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think the Ceylon is more attractive but they do get a bit larger.
Care & feeding is exactly the same for both: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/