New guy

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
rickyny
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Figure 8 = Panchito
Location (country): New York, US

Re: New guy

Post by rickyny »

Knight gobies are very nice, they grow bigger than bbg's. I'll go with Knight gobies.
PP you said there are lots of other fish I could keep with Panchito, can you give me some names? TIA
GSP32
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by GSP32 »

I"m pretty sure that you can add mollies to the tank which would add color and movement... I'm not sure if the puffer would get em tho
rickyny
Puffer Fry

Post by rickyny »

GSP32 wrote:I"m pretty sure that you can add mollies to the tank which would add color and movement... I'm not sure if the puffer would get em tho
Right, I forgot about Mollies. I don't think I like them, I see them every where. How about some Mono Argentus?
rickyny
Puffer Fry

Post by rickyny »

I want to retract on what I said about not liking mollies, I searched for images and there are very nice ones. Unfortunatley the ones my LFS carry are the black, orange and silver ones. I had them when I was a kid, :wink:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Mollies are mass waste producers that muck up your water. They can also be bullies and are best avoided IMO. Consider that if the fish is pleasing to your eye it could also please an inquisitive puffers eye and end up tasted. As a general rule only boring ( my opinion of boring could be different to others) looking fish or sometimes the ones with universal warning colours ( ie bbg look like wasps/ bees etc) stand a chance mixed with a puffer. This is only what I have gathered from my experience of puffers.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

Remember that in the end, the puffer gets the final verdict lol! My f8 lived fine with a molly and bbgs for several months. The molly even bullied him around and chased him off, ntm pooped A TON! One day he munched on the gobies... several days later he got his revenge, I found half a molly. He is now a loner until I upgrade his tank to a larger size in the future, which I will then maybe try some tankmates again.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
GSP32
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by GSP32 »

I've never had mollies, I never knew that they pooped so much hehe, but I thought if I had a Figure 8 puffer I would try, some do have nice colors to them :) Either way we will need pictures once you have decided :)
rickyny
Puffer Fry

Post by rickyny »

That's true, I had a hard time keeping my little ten gallon clean when I had the mollies. I remember I was 11 years old and every Saturday my dad and I would net the fish out of the tank and put them in my mom's pots, lol. Then we would take as much water out as we could and my dad would carry the 10gal to the tub and rinse everything with running water. We would also rinse the gravel. And at the end we would put everything back together again. Is funny looking back now, we could never figure out why our fish kept dying. I also wonder how people with 100 gallon tanks could fit them in their tubs to clean them, lol.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The prettier mollies, Sailfin, bullied one of my F8s. Look into red chromides. Hard to find though. Also glassfish--the ones they paint. But please don't buy painted ones! Don't forget the dragon goby. If he has a good hiding spot, the F8s should leave them alone. There's an article on them in our Library.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
rickyny
Puffer Fry

Post by rickyny »

Awesome, I'll look into those red chromides, never heard of them. And those dinosaur looking gobies are great.
Thank you PP.
Soph<3GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Emerald and Peridot the GSP's
Location (country): Ipswich, Suffolk, England

Post by Soph<3GSP »

Your figure 8 puffer is beautiful! Just noticed this was posted in December, how is the puffer doing now? :)