How long does it take for a GSP to become full grown?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

How long does it take for a GSP to become full grown?

Post by PufferMe! »

My puffer is growing, and I'm looking for a 55 gallon for him/her. I'm curious, how long does it take for a GSP to become an "adult". I don't want to stunt his/her growth, but I'm also waiting for a "perfect" tank on Craigslist. Any thoughts on how long I can safely keep a currently 1.5"-2" GSP in a 27-30 gallon tank? Salinity is now at 1.010.

Thanks

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: How long does it take for a GSP to become full grown?

Post by RTR »

Likely between 1 1/2 and 3 years to sexual maturity, more than twice as long to reach full adult after that size, The growth rate prior to sexual maturity is much faster than that after sexual maturity. They never really stop growing (unlike people) so long as they are alive, but post-puberty growth gets slower and slower. Once in their teens, GSP (and other mid-sized fish) growth can be glacial. Stunting happen early, per-puberty.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Thank you! Very helpful.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Captive puffers can and do far outlive their wild cousins. They should have the time to reach maximum observed wild size, but only if they are given the chance to grow (food, exercise, water quality) while they are immature fish and growing most rapidly. Undersizing their tanks or failing to maintain water quality or proper feeding at any point can slow or arrest growth.
Where's the fish? - Neptune