My first puffer!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
spooked25
Puffer Fry
Location (country): America,

Re: My first puffer!

Post by spooked25 »

I have had some luck with snails. I got 2 yellow and 1 black apple/mystery snails. They were all moving around for 1 week. Now they are dead. My puffers killed but did not eat them?? Or they could have died from the SG lvl. It was at 1.006 at the time of the snails. Since then i have bumped it to 1.015. I have ghost shrimp in there. don't know how long they will last. But they look fine...
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Please post your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels.

It was probably the SG that killed them.

However, with all your SG fluctuations I'd like to see where your aquarium levels are at.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Post by socalsprinter »

Thanks for the info on the snails. I might look into the BBGs how many would be happy in a 20 gallon with the F8? It would be nice to have something help with the mess she leaves behind. I have been vacuuming with the weekly water change but I know I can't get it all.

And ya she is pretty small a little over a half an inch but she is tenacious! She had the roundest and whitest belly at my LFS(which luckily keeps them in brackish water) and I loved the 8 on her back.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nearite snails do great in BW. But the brown stuff isn't algae, it's diatoms. You're gonna have to clean that off yourself.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffer King
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Lilly the Fahaka
Dwarf Puffers
Figure 8
Have kept in past,
Spotted congos
Red eye red tailed puffer
Location (country): Bristol , UK

Post by Puffer King »

zebra NERITE Snails ...
'Rare do Tom agree in the rated room with the retard moo ! '
Free Elf Girl Pun 2012
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

Post by kcartwright856 »

Nerite snails love diatoms.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I really think that you need to stop swinging your SG around so much. Figure 8's don't even require an SG of 1.015. They do good in SGs of 1.005 - 1.008. The only thing you're going to do by moving your SG up and down so much is cause your aquarium to crash because you will have killed off the needed bacteria.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Heah, it was very early when I typed that... :P
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Figure 8's will be fine bewteen SG1.003 and SG1.005, you could take it to SG1.008 if you like but I can't see any real benefit.

Others have had luck with Nerite snails but when I added a couple I had to move them to my mudskipper tank because of constant harrassment, they would eventually have been picked off the glass or eaten when they turned over - which they inevitably do from time to time. I know we feed them snails but they are a less sustainable option compared to pond snails and ramshorns due to their breeding cycle which can't be replicated in captivity.

Bumblebee Gobies can't be classed as a clean up crew and are actually less of a clean up crew than the puffers themselves because the gobies pick food out of the water column and the puffer will happily turn vertical and pick food off the substrate.

The best way to keep algae down in a F8 tank is to keep lighting, phosphate and nitrate levels down to a minimum unless you are trying to grow plants thereby you will need them to be growing healthily to 'outcompete' the algae and keep it manageable.

If you want to add BBG's then add no more than 1 per 20cm diameter of the base of your tank.