a little feeding help for my new figure 8 puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
kevinjgray88
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

a little feeding help for my new figure 8 puffer

Post by kevinjgray88 »

hi i am new to the puffer world and just had one quick question.
i know you are suppost to feed the puffers snails to file their teeth down, i live out of town and dont go in much so i was wondering how long i can go before their teeth get to long.
like would one snail a month be enough for its teeth?
thanks
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: a little feeding help for my new figure 8 puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

kevinjgray88 wrote:hi i am new to the puffer world and just had one quick question.
i know you are suppost to feed the puffers snails to file their teeth down, i live out of town and dont go in much so i was wondering how long i can go before their teeth get to long.
thanks
Why not buy frozen foods with shells on like shrimp, cockles and mussels and compliment with snails whenever you can?

F8's don't tend to suffer as much as other puffers but I feed mine food with shells on about 3 times a week. I only used to do it once a week but I noticed the teeth geeting longer.
garrysmith
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Topaz puffer
Yo Yo Loach
apple snail
Location (country): england

Post by garrysmith »

depending on how far you want to go with this you could get a small say 3 gal tank with a small sponge filter and small heater and keep/breed the snails to feed him, I set one up a few weeks ago and it cost me about £25 for the lot, you can get your snails off ebay cheap too, i brought 20 of a seller for £3.50p. easy to look after too, just give them fruit & veg with the odd bit of flaked fish food.
kevinjgray88
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Post by kevinjgray88 »

Iliveinazoo wrote:
kevinjgray88 wrote:hi i am new to the puffer world and just had one quick question.
thanks
Why not buy frozen foods with shells on like shrimp, cockles and mussels and compliment with snails whenever you can?

F8's don't tend to suffer as much as other puffers but I feed mine food with shells on about 3 times a week. I only used to do it once a week but I noticed the teeth geeting longer.
so a frozen clam or something with a shell? how big because he is only about 1.5" and do i throw it in frozen or should i thaw it first
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

kevinjgray88 wrote:
Iliveinazoo wrote:
thanks

so a frozen clam or something with a shell? how big because he is only about 1.5" and do i throw it in frozen or should i thaw it first
Yeah that will work but you do have to thaw it out. LilGreenPuffer got some good tips on feeding on the 1/2 shell which will make them grind their teeth on it, I think that she smears garlic on the shell or something.

They don't need much, at the moment he probably only needs about five millimetres square, but try it out first - once their belly is round they've had enough
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

That wasn't me. I think it was Pufferpunk. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Lots of folks here feed that way.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"