Starting a Brackish Aquarium

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
sarina23
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One 3" GSP named Puffy, One Ceylon named Valentine, a Knight Goby & a Florida Flag Fish

Re:

Post by sarina23 »

RTR wrote:I would not keep GSPs and BBGs together in any size tank. I think that PP will agree with me on that. But the same setup substituting F-8s would more appropriate if a bit too crowded for me.
When I began my brackish tank, I had a couple BBGs with my GSPs and a couple months later they disappeared completely! No trace of them anywhere, so I aggree with you! I learned the hard way :shock:
Sarina
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Starting a Brackish Aquarium

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hmmm... I wonder where they went? Yum, yum!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sarina23
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One 3" GSP named Puffy, One Ceylon named Valentine, a Knight Goby & a Florida Flag Fish

Post by sarina23 »

lol, btw pufferpunk, in the beginning of my puffer love affair, you helped me greatly with everything I know about them! I remember searching and reading a lot of articles by you. So I want to say thank you and you ROCK!!
Sarina
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re:

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

lisalisa wrote:Does anyone agree though that the proposed stocking is a bit off? 8 GSP's and 10 BBG's in a 125?
Yes.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

So, what's specific gravity?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you aware nothing has been posted in this thread since November?

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Ooops :)

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's ok, it's a sticky for a reason.

seventy
Puffer Fry

Post by seventy »

Since its a sticky, and off-topic, about a year ago my gsp ate a knight goby. Couldnt decide if i was impressed or disappointed..... But hes in full sw now and is still afraid of my 5" scarlet cleaner shrimp. Maybe its the whiskers, id be scared too.
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by daniel420 »

Does anyone have a good calculation to mix water and marine salt? im trying to bring my water to 1.002sg and cant really figure out if my mix is going to be to strong or weak.

Thanks,
Daniel
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

daniel420
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by daniel420 »

Are there any bottom feeder fish that I can throw in with my GSP's? Im looking for something that can clean up the poo and stuff on the bottom of my tank.
jSanders
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 GSP
Location (country): Eastern United States

Post by jSanders »

I've had a 55g hex tank dirted and cycled ready for a heavily planted fw setup when my wife sees GSPs at the local shop. Fast forward to me ditching the dirt, cleaning the tank, recycling with sand ...fast forward to us buying 2 "freshwater puffers"... I am currently bringing up the salinity to brackish. They are each about 1.5-1.75 inches long, white bellied, eating regularly and their tails are growing back. The shop had 18 (I counted) in a 20 gallon cube. Right now the salinity hardly registers on my hydrometer and I'm adding 1 tbs (mixed with treated water) each day. I have fresh water plants and a few Malawian cichlids in the tank currently but a new tank is already set up to receive the plants and cichlids as soon as I see signs of a problem. The plants (Java fern, anubias, a couple of swords) are healthy now but I have no idea how much salinity they will take. As soon as I see growth stop or brown ends, I'll pull them but my question is, how long can I expect them to hold out? There is no aggression in the tank as far as I can tell, the cichlids (only 3 so five small fish in a rather wide 55g hex) have carved out nests and the puffers have claimed perches on rocks. I see no composition for food. I'm feeding the puffers clams, blood worms and keeping hitch hiker snails and ghost shrimp for them to chase and chew. The cichlids eat flake and pellets and what worms fall. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all in the zone, pH stays around 7.4 and weekly 20% water changes are done. I also feed with a ring to make getting the unbeaten food out easier. Any experience in converting to brackish with live plants and Malawian cichlids? I've had the puffers for a month now and things seem stable, just curious what to expect as I bring the salinity up.
Dragongoby_scrubs
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Dragongoby_scrubs »

Very helpful thanks!