F8 in full marine

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs)
Location (country): United States of America

F8 in full marine

Post by Salmon »

I didn't know where to put this since F8s are brackish and I'm pretty sure most everyone here agrees.

Anyway I was at an LFS here in Dayton, and I always look at the marine puffers since they are so cool. I happened to come across an F8 in full marine conditions. Is this unusual to anyone but me? They also had 3 other F8s the same size in the freshwater/brackish section, but the one in full marine looked healthier. Is this strange? it seems that way to me
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: F8 in full marine

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Are you sure it is not a Ceylon? They look very similar. Otherwise they are not doing good to that F8 either way. Post pictures if you can.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

I didn't take any pictures. I'm 90% sure it was an F8. If I go again this weekend I'll definitely snag some pics if it is still there
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Way back in the dark ages when I first worked w/F-8s, I did not test them above mid-level BW. Those long-ago trials gave the best outcomes in low-end BW (SG 1.003-1.005). I have personally never tried them in FOWLR and full marine, but it is possible that they would do fine there. I have not run across any reports on anyone keeping them at FOWLR conditions, but it could be another stable level for them as It certainly is for GSPs and likely also for Ceylons. FOWLR when well managed is an apparently a very good while relatively lower-cost operating system. I would love to see some long-term results on an of the so-called BW puffers.

Hard data on F-8s, GSPs, and Ceylons in FOWLR versus low-end BW would be very interesting and could be valuable to the hobby. Unfortunately I am too old to start such long-term trials myself.

FWIW
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Maybe that will give me something to do should I ever decide to try brackish again and eventually get into salt water
plessans
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by plessans »

RTR wrote:Way back in the dark ages when I first worked w/F-8s, I did not test them above mid-level BW. Those long-ago trials gave the best outcomes in low-end BW (SG 1.003-1.005). I have personally never tried them in FOWLR and full marine, but it is possible that they would do fine there. I have not run across any reports on anyone keeping them at FOWLR conditions, but it could be another stable level for them as It certainly is for GSPs and likely also for Ceylons. FOWLR when well managed is an apparently a very good while relatively lower-cost operating system. I would love to see some long-term results on an of the so-called BW puffers.

Hard data on F-8s, GSPs, and Ceylons in FOWLR versus low-end BW would be very interesting and could be valuable to the hobby. Unfortunately I am too old to start such long-term trials myself.

FWIW
I'm new to brackish puffers and wanted to know if base rock, which I think is dried and very clean live rock, will be okay to have in freshwater conditions at the start and slowly move to SG=1.003-1.005. Will it raise my pH too high?