GSP laid eggs

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
GaryOak
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Right now none. Still an enthusiast, but unable to provide a working habitat atm.
Location (country): Currently living in Reykjavik, Iceland. US citizen. Lived abroad all over.

GSP laid eggs

Post by GaryOak »

Hello everybody and I hope you all are well. I have been granted a blessing and need some help. I believe my puffers have laid some eggs. I gave them a diet of ghost white shrimp with additional snails periodically and biweekly water changes. Recent I noticed in the roots of my live plant a fuzzy white ball with visible bubbles in it. Then, I noticed one of my puffers sleeping by it and guarding it. I am pretty sure I have eggs. However, there is so little on documenting it that I have no idea what to do. I have been regulating the gravity and on day two increased it slightly because it is going through massive fluxes and trying to document with pictures and no real temp changes. I can't gauge the PH and not sure what else to do. There is so little avail for captive GSP breeding. Any comments, links, etc will be welcome and I can share pictures. Thanks.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: GSP laid eggs

Post by purplecandle »

Unfortunately, they don't breed in captivity, their sperm is only viable under very specific conditions. Do you have pictures?

Here is a link
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16436
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Do you have liquid-based test kits for monitoring water parameters? If so, any and all info you can record would be beneficial. Also any specific gravity and adult handling and their egg/fry care (if any) would be good as well.

Most puffer fry are quite small and likely will need far more plankton/infusorians than the tank provides. Cultivating planktonic algae and appropriate planktonic critters which feed on it and are in turn fed to the hatched fish larvae requires multiple bottle and tanks to rear the larvae until they settle out. That is a massive undertaking on which we have too little information. Several other SW fish have been and are commercially bred, but no puffers other than dwarf/pigmy puffers have been commercially and hobby bred. They are the smallest known puffer, bot have larger-than-most fry at hatching. For those, freshwater infusoria and tiny foods are adequate. For GSPs we have little or no information.

We wish you well and look forward to more details of the parent's behavior. GSP spawnings have been only very rarely reported.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
GaryOak
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Right now none. Still an enthusiast, but unable to provide a working habitat atm.
Location (country): Currently living in Reykjavik, Iceland. US citizen. Lived abroad all over.

Post by GaryOak »

I am going to keep monitoring this thing for a few more days and will try to figure it out. I am a new breeder, so mistakes are not unforseen. It could be a bacteria, but I really don't know why it would change their habits. I live in China, so the only tool I have is a hydrometer which took a lot to get. I will upload pics soon. I still don't understand why the behavior changed and why they have been guarding the egg or otherwise bacteria. I do have live plants in there that I bought from varying sources. Daily monitors of PH and consistent water temp minus cooling water in changes. I will give it a week before I admit it is not eggs. And I do apologize if I act too hasty. One other thing I do.... I have four other tanks: one containing Albino Sterbai Corby that I keep with live driftwood; one filled with neon tetras and a very curious neon green/pink aquatic frogs indigenous to the region; one with several indigenous plants and algae that I use for breeding (A LOT) of molly fish and one with driftwood, rocks, red tail catfish and a gar that I feed consistently of live food. During water changes I often cross the water so any bacteria, algae, substrates, etc. I get in those tanks gets pooled in with the water in the other tank. The ball with dots is starting to show more distinct bubbles in it as well. I am greatly appreciative of skepticism and hope that I can successfully disprove. I'll keep monitoring. Another thing is that they rarely puff since I've had them- even when I do complete water changes and one GSP with a white belly marked with a grey "coat" had started to get a lot of small "sweat" bubbles on her underbelly after the alleged eggs appeared. I began to fear it was a disease but by morning they were gone. I seriously don't know and thank all your help.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

GSPs don't puff a lot :)...which is good!

The "sweat" was probably air bubbles trapped in a thick slime coat. Perhaps the fish was stressed. After water changes my Puffers sometimes have extra slime.

What kind of tanks are the gsps in? Salinity, size.. how old Are the gsps (how big are they).
GaryOak
Puffer Fry

Post by GaryOak »

I will give it six more days before I admit defeat. haha.
What kind of tanks are the gsps in? They are just in a basic tank. It has a log cave one often hides in, a sponge filter/air bubbles, a heater,, one indigenous plant and a circulating filter.
Salinity- ideally brackish but constant changes. I usually do full water changes instead of 50%. So.... the salinity is ideally 1.016 but I've seen it drop once to 1.004. I just upped the salinity, which may be a mistake, but we will see....
size- written in Chinese, but rather smal while I wait for my upgrade. Around 40L
how old Are the gsps: I do not know the current age. I have a habit of buying things then finding out what they are later. I've had them for 2-3 months now and they are close to pinky finger length and quite fat.
GaryOak
Puffer Fry

Post by GaryOak »

Dear community, thankyou for your support and talking. The potential egg or substance is now gone. I tried to investigate it a bit and a second puffer destroyed it. I'll see what can happen in the future and as to the object: I can send pictures if you like.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I think you need to research these fish and what the minimum requirements are. Big salinity swings can cause a tank crash killing all bacteria and fish. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I think you need to do some reading on how to care for these guys properly
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly