no puffer breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
ironbone
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1xgsp---Puff-N-Stuff
Location (country): north america

no puffer breeding

Post by ironbone »

i didnt think puffers relate
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Re: no puffer breeding

Post by Ohyouknow »

Puffers breed, however it's difficult to get some species to breed in captivity. To safely breed, they need plenty of space, and a comfortable habitat. Even then it can be tricky... However, some people have found it easier with some species... However, if you plan to breed, you need to have room for the babies as well - and have things ready in case you need to move the babies or parents to a different tank.

If you take a look through the PufferPedia, you can see what information is available on each species of fish about their breeding habits and requirements - however many species have not been successfully bred in captivity or little is known about breeding them. You may also find tips and other information related in the library.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Re: no puffer breeding

Post by Myaj »

Several of the freshwater species have been known to breed. In many cases it is not easy, as the mated pair may turn on each other if they aren't feeling "frisky", and the small fry are difficult to feed and raise, but with some species at least it is possible.

Green Spotted Puffers have recently been bred in mass amounts, but it takes a pretty specific setup and the addition of hormones. There's a stickied article in this forum about how they went about that.

As far as I know, no one's bred any of the marine species in captivity yet.