GSP pregnant?

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
GSP 3
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 GSP's
Location (country): Canada

GSP pregnant?

Post by GSP 3 »

Hi everyone,

I have two GSP's in a 30 gal tank right now. Im wondering if one of them is pregnant. Lately they have been swimming very close to each other alot of the time whereas before they would usually stay very separate, they even brush against each other from time to time. One is very active and the other has a rounded belly and seems to be more lethargic, it also is breathing a bit heavier than normal but they still both look healthy. Is this a sign of pregnancy?

Thanks
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Re: GSP pregnant?

Post by J-P »

not likely. Apparently there is no reported cases of breeding in the aquarium (hobby). The hobbiest can't duplicate the nessessary conditions required for breeding GSPs.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Only livebearing fish can get pregnant. Also, as J-P said, breeding GSPs is extremely difficult and hasn't been managed by regular hobbyists.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I guarantee you, if they still fit into a 30g tank, they aren't near to being sexually mature.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to PP's comments, or they are stunted.

Clarifiction: Livebearer females become gravid, not pregnant. Pregnancy is for placental mammals. Guppies et al. just hold the fertilized eggs, they do not contribute to on-going nutrition.

Female puffers may build up a large stock of eggs, and it does look different from just chubby.
Where's the fish? - Neptune