Raising Suvattii Fry

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
NoFace
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka, 12 Dwarf Puffers, 4 Sap.

Raising Suvattii Fry

Post by NoFace »

Well i have been on my first batch over the lest two weeks and I am sad to say I only have one fry left as of this morning, and its going spot on. I can see why rocker says they are very hard to raise, i have a second batch all ready in a second fry tank and i am just waiting for them to hatch. I think practise will make perfect, problem was feeding i think as i think i slacked off a bit, its not easy when you have to work lol. lets hope i do better with the second batch.
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Re: Raising Suvattii Fry

Post by flash.dan »

i raised about 30 at the start of the year from 5 batches. my partner is on maternity so she fed them in the day total of 5 feeds a day still have 80% loss rate. liquifry no1 is a godsend for the first few days
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 200G - 1X Fahaka Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)
50G - Planted Tank (CRS only tank)
Location (country): Hong Kong

Post by Homer »

I'm in the middle of waiting for my 3rd batch of palembang fry to be born atm... and i must say i've found the biggest problem raising fry is giving them enough space, since even at a young age they seem to be very aggressive towards each other...

For example, the first batch i had about 80+ fry that survived, took them all out put them into a small tank and day by day most were dying till i had about 10 left... then from there it seemed every few days one more would die till i had only one left which is still living by himself in that tank and growing happily...

then the 2nd batch i decided to leave in the main tank with their parents, same thing happened most died, and a few survived, but it seemed there was one of the older fry (from the first batch) that survived and was literally taking down the younger fry one bite at a time...

so now i'm waiting for the 3rd batch to see what happens, although its not looking good for me...
Sleep is the cousin of Death...
flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Post by flash.dan »

Homer wrote:I'm in the middle of waiting for my 3rd batch of palembang fry to be born atm... and i must say i've found the biggest problem raising fry is giving them enough space, since even at a young age they seem to be very aggressive towards each other...

For example, the first batch i had about 80+ fry that survived, took them all out put them into a small tank and day by day most were dying till i had about 10 left... then from there it seemed every few days one more would die till i had only one left which is still living by himself in that tank and growing happily...

then the 2nd batch i decided to leave in the main tank with their parents, same thing happened most died, and a few survived, but it seemed there was one of the older fry (from the first batch) that survived and was literally taking down the younger fry one bite at a time...

so now i'm waiting for the 3rd batch to see what happens, although its not looking good for me...
80= fry a batch wow. mine only lay 30-40 eggs at any one time with about a 80% fertilised rate. thats strange with young suvs they were not overly aggressive and tollerated each other although i did split them into similar sized specemins as they grew
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 200G - 1X Fahaka Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)
50G - Planted Tank (CRS only tank)
Location (country): Hong Kong

Post by Homer »

^ I must say though, only the first batch had 80 fry born (since i took them all out and counted)... where as the last 2 batches which were subsequently laid only had around 50 - 60 eggs laid max (95% fertile), but the problem was and still is giving them enough space to grow up...
Sleep is the cousin of Death...