How to quarantine multiple DP

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
jessie424
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

How to quarantine multiple DP

Post by jessie424 »

Hello,

I'm very excited to get some dwarf puffers but want to make sure I'm doing everything right so they can be as happy and healthy as possible. I have a 20 gallon long planted tank. I was initially going to get 5 DP but have changed my mind into getting 3. I think 3 would be more comfortable in this size tank. Here are some pics of the tank: http://imgur.com/a/lmC17
I'm very proud of how it's coming along! I have a few questions for the more experienced DP owners. How should I go about quarantining them? I have two 5.5 gallon tanks I could use. Do they need to be separated in such small tanks for quarantine or should I just put them right into the DT? The DT currently has 4 amano shrimp. I'm aware they may or may not live and am prepared to move them if they're being bothered by the DP.
My other question is regarding lighting. I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light that I am currently running on the 24/7 mode. It looks great but does not have a very long period of total darkness. Will this bother the puffers? I can put it on a timer but wouldn't be able to run the cool looking changing light colors throughout the day. It'd be all or nothing basically.

Thank you in advance!

TL;DR: How do I quarantine multiple dwarf puffers (without them being stressed out) and is a lot of light bothersome to them?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: How to quarantine multiple DP

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
If they are the only fish in the tank, then that tank is their QT.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jessie424
Puffer Fry

Post by jessie424 »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
If they are the only fish in the tank, then that tank is their QT.
I've read several places about treating for internal parasites. Is that something to worry about?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't see DPs with them often. Are they showing symptoms of being sick at all?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

jessie424
Puffer Fry

Post by jessie424 »

I don't have them yet. My LFS isn't able to order them right now but they're keeping an eye out for me. I'm also trying to find some that are captive bred in an effort to promote sustainable fish keeping.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Petsmart used to have a DP breeding program but not anymore. :(

tysonjames
Puffer Fry
Location (country): India

Post by tysonjames »

jessie424 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:22 pm Hello,

I'm very excited to get some dwarf puffers but want to make sure I'm doing everything right so they can be as happy and healthy as possible. I have a 20 gallon long planted tank. I was initially going to get 5 DP but have changed my mind into getting 3. I think 3 would be more comfortable in this size tank. Here are some pics of the tank: http://imgur.com/a/lmC17
I'm very proud of how it's coming along! I have a few questions for the more experienced DP owners. How should I go about quarantining them? I have two 5.5 gallon tanks I could use. Do they need to be separated in such small tanks for quarantine or should I just put them right into the DT? The DT currently has 4 amano shrimp. I'm aware they may or may not live and am prepared to move them if they're being bothered by the DP.
My other question is regarding lighting. I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light that I am currently running on the 24/7 mode. It looks great but does not have a very long period of total darkness. Will this bother the puffers? I can put it on a timer but wouldn't be able to run the cool looking changing light colors throughout the day. It'd be all or nothing basically.

Thank you in advance!

TL;DR: How do I quarantine multiple dwarf puffers (without them being stressed out) and is a lot of light bothersome to them?
I don't know about the quarantine stuff but I sure can tell about the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, it is practically made for them so there shouldn't be an issue like too much light. There wouldn't be any point to the 24/7 features if that was the case.