New to puffers - feed dwarf puffers snails only?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Xyphon
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

New to puffers - feed dwarf puffers snails only?

Post by Xyphon »

I was thinking of getting a couple of these cute little guys for my planted tank. 60s gallons, lots of flame moss and rocks and various plants. I also have some have danios, otos, halfbeaks, white clouds and ghost shrimp (if they get eaten no big deal though, but if they can coexist at least to the point they don't constantly die that would be great).

This tank had no snails and suddenly one day after at least a YEAR without adding plants to the tank, I start to see these huge pond snails everywhere, about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I think they are just regular pond snails though, just very large.

Anyway my tank looks good except it's just BRIMMING with snails. I don't hate them really, but it got me to thinking this might be an opportunity to try out a new critter.

First off I saw this info on some site and it seems odd to me, can anyone confirm?
Dwarf Pea Puffer For Sale

Carinotetraodon travancoricus

The Dwarf Pea Puffer is the smallest puffer fish growing only to 3/4 of an inch. This fish is not aggressive at all and is a beneficial member to any aquarium as they will feed on small snails, mosquitos, dragonfly larvae and other aquatic bugs.

The Dwarf Pea Puffer is a schooling fish, so it needs to be in a habitat with a large quantity of the same species. Diet can be supplemented with blood worms or live black worms, but typically this fish will do fine feeding on micro organisms found naturally in the tank.
I did not think puffers were schooling fish for starters. I also don't know if it's wishful thinking to believe that you can have a puffer in a tank without actually feeding it anything! But I guess that's possible, if the tank is big enough and has enough snails.

So the real question is, if I want to feed them just snails...what's it going to take?

Will the puffers go hog wild and kill all the snails in one day?

If so, how big of an additional tank would I need to breed enough snails? I have another ten gallon for shrimp I could put snails in, or I could easily set up another 10g for snails alone though it seems like a waste.

How many snails per day does a dwarf puffer need, and what size?

Is there a maximum size after which they won't be able to eat the snails?

How much snail breeding territory would I need for each one of these guys?

If they eat only snails will I still have to clip their choppers?
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Re: New to puffers - feed dwarf puffers snails only?

Post by pokeystar »

I have never kept dwarf puffers but other species and read a fair bit on them. They are on my radar for a breeding project. Thinking about your questions one of the first thinks that you should know is puffers don't ever feel full. They simply eat when ever food is availible. In a tank with snails that means eating every snail. This then pushes food through the digestive system faster so partially digested food enters the tank crearing pollution problems. A second snail breeding tank works much better. If you feed them snails this should keep the 'chopers' nicely worn down so no need for dentistry. I have a 50 ltr tank raising apple snails for a fahaka puffer. It's enough space to breed enough snail that he gets teo to three 3cm diameter snails a week. A similar tank of ramshor would more than easily meet the snail requirements for dwarf puffers. Supplier with a wide variety to keep them active and healthy.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

pokeystar wrote:I have never kept dwarf puffers but other species and read a fair bit on them. They are on my radar for a breeding project. Thinking about your questions one of the first thinks that you should know is puffers don't ever feel full. They simply eat when ever food is availible. In a tank with snails that means eating every snail. This then pushes food through the digestive system faster so partially digested food enters the tank crearing pollution problems. A second snail breeding tank works much better. If you feed them snails this should keep the 'chopers' nicely worn down so no need for dentistry. I have a 50 ltr tank raising apple snails for a fahaka puffer. It's enough space to breed enough snail that he gets teo to three 3cm diameter snails a week. A similar tank of ramshor would more than easily meet the snail requirements for dwarf puffers. Supplier with a wide variety to keep them active and healthy.
dwarf puffers love snails, but do not have a "choper" issue without them
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

I think pond snails would be better than ramshorn for dwarf puffers. From what I recall with my experience, ramshorns will get pretty big for a dwarf puffer to eat (as well as the larger pond snails) . But you can always crush the bigger ones and divide them up.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

I think the bigger issue is all the other fish you'll be asking the DPs to coexist with. DPs have a reputation of being fine with other species ... until they're not. As juveniles, they'll probably be fine, but I would expect some carnage when they mature. :(
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.