Hairy Puffer bored?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Galen1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Tetraodon palembangensis - Lepton
Takifugu ocellatus - Boson - RIP
Tetraodon baileyi - Hadron
Location (country): VA, USA

Hairy Puffer bored?

Post by Galen1 »

I have had my hairy for several months. He is doing great, eats like a pig, interacts with us and is VERY active all day long. However, he surfs up and down the glass a lot, mostly the front corner! I am worried he is "bored".
He shares the 40 breeder tank with a humpback puffer with a mesh divider. The humpback sleeps in her cave all day long so is invisible to the hairy and provides no stimulus. When the humpback cruises at night (which isn't much), the hairy is sleeping.
I have added various things to the tank to give him something to do, something that moves around in the current and breaks his patterns, but that lasts only a few minutes and he continues to surf around them. Any suggestions?
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Re: Hairy Puffer bored?

Post by pokeystar »

I got live tubiflex from my local fish shop and spread them through the tank, my puffer loves digging for them. Likewise with a couple of corkscrew snail varieties I have bred.

Plants, wood, etc to hunt along to make the tank more interesting. I am also not sure the mesh divider will hide the puffers, fish use a lot more than sight to detect each other?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Mine hides 90% of the time.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sangrail
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP - Zepp
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by sangrail »

mine surfs the front for about an hour before and after normal feeding time so far XD otherwise he is all over the place