Keeping snails with a puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
schmiggle
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Newton, Massachusetts, USA

Keeping snails with a puffer

Post by schmiggle »

I would like to get a SAP in a tank by itself, but I know that to really keep one long-term one either has to constantly trim the "teeth" or feed lots of snails and other hard foods (like plants on grazing rocks, I've read?). I am unable to have a separate colony of snails, and I'm not interested in performing dental surgery. Could I, however, essentially have a colony of snails in the tank with the puffer? I figure that way the puffer will eat whenever, and will have a constant supply of hard food. I'd probably also feed other things (generally hard) for a varied diet. Alternatively, would something like cherry shrimp work as well?
If it's not an option, either for this reason or another, I'm ok trying a different species. Any advice would be welcome.
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Re: Keeping snails with a puffer

Post by maccyg »

You'd probably struggle to get anything like a colony to survive long enough to breed, despite being prolific breeders. I thought of the idea myself but my F8 puffers are constantly on the hunt and even if I put 100+ snails in there they would annihilate them all within 24-48hrs I reckon giving them no chance to reproduce