Preparing for Dwarf Puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
koneko
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Preparing for Dwarf Puffers

Post by koneko »

I made the decision to keep fish again and I have my heart set on Dwarf Puffers. My friend has several tanks (saltwater and freshwater) and is helping me setup and shop. I'm hopefully getting a 29 gallon tank and stand this weekend if all goes well. My friend is going to help me setup to cycle the tank before adding anything to it.

What sorts of plants do puffers enjoy? (I would really like a carpet plant like dwarf baby tears and maybe some of the dwarf hairgrass) I've read that they like hiding places and things like that too, but I haven't looked at too many plants yet.
Suggestions on substrate I've seen a lot of different setups, but I want to do what will make them happy.

I would like to go about setting up a small tank for snails for feeding the puffer (and maybe shrimp because they're neat). Since puffers are aggressive, I guess I won't be able to keep shrimp with them, but surely I could keep them with snails. Any advice for snail-raising?

Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Preparing for Dwarf Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

A planted tank is a wonderful home for DPs! Any plants you can keep alive will do. They do like to spawn in Java moss.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... -breeding/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"