29 gallon suggestions

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

29 gallon suggestions

Post by martini57 »

I have a cycled 29 gallon freshwater tank that I am looking to put a puffer into and need suggestions on species that would work in this size tank. I want to stay with freshwater and not brackish, I have way too many saltwater aquariums for the time being and don't want to have to take care of another brackish. Looking for simple water changes, no mixing. A lfs about an hour away or so has a 3-4inch abei that just came in for $60, but I'm trying to figure out what all my options are in a tank that size, I don't want to upgrade later on so it will need to be happy fully grown in a 29. Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: 29 gallon suggestions

Post by Pufferpunk »

Any of the Monotrete species would work fine in there. If you could find a couple of Auriglobus, that would be really cool! A pair of the larger Carinotetraodon species would be nice, too.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug. ... 8c2b8b38cf
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I will probably get the abei tomorrow. I had the store owner send me pictures, it's pretty awesome. It is fully grown though, that's my only concern. Also, are abei fairly active? Do they burrow? The substrate is crushed coral right now.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I believe they are fairly active for a lurker species. They do not burrow. Although I haven't kept that species, I have turgidus & they mostly hung out in their cave.
Ditch the CC, it's not necessary to have the pH so high or the water hard.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I will probably change out the substrate slowly, so it doesn't have a mini cycle. Switch it out to what though? Gravel, sand? I honestly don't have any idea what the natural habitat is and I can't find any info online that I have seen. I would prefer to make it as natural as possible. Driftwood, rocks, plants?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Gravel or sand is fine. It won't cause a cycle. Add Safestart when you add the fish & you'll be fine.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Picked him up yesterday. He was looking good and and eating well up until a few minutes ago. He is laying on the bottom and breathing a little faster than
Normal. I put an airstone in, just in case and tested the water. Nitrates are between 10 and 20, going to do a water change. But ammonia and nitrites are 0. This guy is much bigger than the other fish that were in there so I have some dr tims bacteria coming in the mail tomorrow to make sure everything is
Alright bio filter wise. I also turned off the light