Casually swimming on surface

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
juliecane
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Casually swimming on surface

Post by juliecane »

We have a lot of fish and a lot of aquariums (8 lg and 4 small) - I am familiar with many types of fish and their habits, both from reading and trial and error. After having cichlids, angels & rainbows — these little guys (they were a gift) are extremely adorable, but I am not sure of their behavior tonight. Today I did a water change and change of decorations (changes to driftwood w/plants and a couple smaller caves. One is larger (1 1/2 ") and the 3 others are tiny. The large one ate a little shrimp yesterday, and I assume the others did as well, b/c when I changed things around there was no old food. During this change, the larger one jumped out (luckily on the table it is on 3x. I was mortified! I know they like live food, and have put some pond snails in tank. Tried the freeze dried bloodworms after soaking them, they did not seem interested. Not sure about snails, I just popped them in today as I worked on the cichlid tanks. Anyway - for the last couple of hours, the larger one (and of course the little ones, b/c they follow him around) They all have been swimming at the surface of the tank - like it is skimming for food? I treated the new water put in w/prime + nite-out & special blend , and then after seeing them do this, checked the parameters and they are a bit off. Is it normal for these guys to skim the surface? They are moving their fins and changing their directions, but I do not know/understand DP habbits etc. Do you all have any suggestions? New to tank? (3 of 4 were given yesterday - other had been in tank with a beta. They were all moved to tank yesterday am, and they were happy as could be & now this :( I would love some guidance/advice - Thanks Julie
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Casually swimming on surface

Post by bertie 83 »

What size tank are they in? You say the water parameters were a bit off? Please give numbers on this. They might just be cruising but we need more numbers to be sure
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly