Pea Puffer Sexing Help!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
sl3xx
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Pea Puffer Sexing Help!

Post by sl3xx »

I have two pea puffers that I got about 8 or 9 months ago. I can't seem to find any male markings but I figured I would ask to see if someone can help.
Here is a video of them enjoying one of my blue shrimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5x5ey8Mhs

Are they both female?
Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pea Puffer Sexing Help!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
They appear to both be females, but it's really hard to tell with them moving so much. Are there wrinkles behind their eyes?
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... rf-puffer/

How come that feeder shrimp is blue?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sl3xx
Puffer Fry

Post by sl3xx »

Thank you.

RE the blue shrimp, they are a slightly more expensive version of the red cherry shrimp. Pretty much the same size. You can find them on ebay. I wanted to see if my DP's were eating the RCS because they were the same color as the bloodworms that I feed them. They never touch my Amanos. To test this theory, I bought blue shrimp. You can see how that experiment ended. The shrimp usually get away, but this one didn't.

I've come to the conclusion that they're both females. No wrinkles, no yellow belly, no stripe on belly.
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

Cute video! I like that your puffers will share their shrimp with each other.

They look healthy and happy, not sure if they are girls or boys.

They are spoiled too, getting to eat fancy shrimp - are those blue bolts, dreamy blues, or a different variety?

Thank you for sharing your video with us :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm not sure why you pay more for a shrimp that is a feeder? As long as you gutload the feeder shrimp, cheap ones are fine.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

sl3xx
Puffer Fry

Post by sl3xx »

You're welcome!

I think they're dreamy blues, from what I can find online. My tank is heavily planted so there are still quite a few they haven't gotten a hold of. I like adding a lot of RCS to the tank so they have some entertainment and can work on their hunting skills. Also if they get hungry it's nice to know they can hunt their meal themselves. Plus, I'd rather supplement their bloodworm diet with other things, and snail shells are annoying to pick up daily.
sl3xx
Puffer Fry

Post by sl3xx »

Pufferpunk wrote:I'm not sure why you pay more for a shrimp that is a feeder? As long as you gutload the feeder shrimp, cheap ones are fine.
I didn't plan on them being meals, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset.

Before I got these shrimp I had these 2 puffers in a fluval edge 6g with at least 10 shrimp. Never any deaths. A few months later I noticed that they would attack and eat one occasionally, but not too often. The RCS even had little babies in the tank that somehow went untouched.
sl3xx
Puffer Fry

Post by sl3xx »

Sorry to get off topic, but does this site really just plaincode emails into the source. That's just asking for all sorts of spam to each and every member. If I can see it, bots and crawlers can see it. Bad move.

<li class="email-icon"><a href="mailto:luluwonderdog@yahoo.com" title="E-mail"><span>E-mail</span></a></li>
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I am completely illiterate to computer speak. I have been in desperate need of Tech Support for many years here, as I have been running this site pretty much by myself without any. We are about 4 years behind on board updates. See what you get when you open the Library now! :(

sl3xx
Puffer Fry

Post by sl3xx »

I was mistaken anyway. It only appears if you login. I thought if you went to any page on the forum it would show the user's email address under their name, which is a bad idea... but it only appears if are logged in. Still not the best way to do it, but not anything alarming. So no worries!

Regarding the Library... I think you can fix those errors with a patch from here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/fix ... rds-issues - Take note of the link and if you find support staff they can make the update!

And an even easier fix is to update your wordpress... or just turn off PHP error reporting. It will make those errors disappear:
https://wordimpress.com/php-turn-on-or- ... reporting/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The person who put this site together has highly modified the board & only he can update it.