Pea Puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
nick709r
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Pea Puffers

Post by nick709r »

So, today i went on a road trip out of town to check out some aquarium stores.
I have always been very interested in dwarf (pea) puffers. I saw some at the store, and picked them up, (sort of a spur of the moment thing)

Anyways, At the moment i have a moderately planted 20 gallon long tank, with about 10-15 cardinal/rummy nose tetras.

Having nowhere to put the puffers, i put them in that tank,

I have read around a lot about the puffers being aggressive towards other fish. Now i don't mind much if my tetras get beat up,

The thing i am worried about is the puffers getting beat up by the tetras The puffers are very small, around the size of a pea, and my tetras are all around three quartrs of an inch in size.

Do you think ill have any problems with it?

I will add, i am slowly getting rid of the tetras, little by little. Because i don't want to take appart the tank to catch them all.

If anybody has any information that could help me, please pass it on!

thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pea Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your puffers will be fine. I am afraid for the tetras though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

+1, wait until your puffers are a little bigger and when the lights go out you'll start loosing tetras :P
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Or at least pieces of them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

nick709r
Puffer Fry

Post by nick709r »

I do hope to get the tetras out before the puffers are big.

I have removed about half of them, it's a work in progress because I don't want to disassemble everything in the tank
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's really not as difficult as it appears & you can get in a good cleaning of the substrate, after all the decor is moved out. LOL, I've had to catch fast fish in a 90g reef tank with >200lbs of live rock in there!

nick709r
Puffer Fry

Post by nick709r »

Yeah, you are right.

I guess tomorrow's gonna be fish tank cleaning day!
Boku88
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Figure 8 Puffers, Green Spotted Puffers and Dwarf Puffers
Location (country): Malaysia

Post by Boku88 »

So long it is not predatory fish like bichirs, catfish etc your pea puffer will be fine. The thing is once a dp has settled in your tank, it doesn't matter how big or small they WILL start attackig and nipping any fish. Unless if you are keeping otos or kuhli loaches, you will see nipped and ragged fins. And if you do want to add any invertabrates, it is a gamble with shrimps. CPO's or any dwarf lobsters and bigger shrimps like Amano/Yamatos would be fine. Anything smaller would result with one fat and happy smirking puffer.
nick709r
Puffer Fry

Post by nick709r »

A couple weeks later, I have lost a few tetras,

But most of them are looking alright, a bit of ragged looking fins, but not awful.

Haven't touched my rock shrimps yet either
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please rehome those poor tetras! :(

nick709r
Puffer Fry

Post by nick709r »

Pufferpunk wrote:Please rehome those poor tetras! :(
Youl be happy to hear that next week my buddy is taking them off my hands :D
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish
Location (country): north america

Post by mislaura »

nick709r wrote:So, today i went on a road trip out of town to check out some aquarium stores.
I have always been very interested in dwarf (pea) puffers. I saw some at the store, and picked them up, (sort of a spur of the moment thing)

Anyways, At the moment i have a moderately planted 20 gallon long tank, with about 10-15 cardinal/rummy nose tetras.

Having nowhere to put the puffers, i put them in that tank,

I have read around a lot about the puffers being aggressive towards other fish. Now i don't mind much if my tetras get beat up,

The thing i am worried about is the puffers getting beat up by the tetras The puffers are very small, around the size of a pea, and my tetras are all around three quartrs of an inch in size.

Do you think ill have any problems with it?

I will add, i am slowly getting rid of the tetras, little by little. Because i don't want to take appart the tank to catch them all.

If anybody has any information that could help me, please pass it on!

thanks
I have had 3 pea puffers in a 75 gallon community tank with schools of tetras for well over 8 months now "NO DEATHS" time will tell you may be lucky and they will do fine. Sex will make a difference as males are more aggressive Mine are two females and a male and were sexed when I bought them they were already adults. Just watch your tank closely. I have watched pea puffer run head on to other fish and swim away with out so much as a puff even. So there not all killers
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

His fish are already being attacked by the puffers.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish
Location (country): north america

Post by mislaura »

bertie 83 wrote:His fish are already being attacked by the puffers.
He said the fins were a little ragged that doesn't prove the pea puffer did it. There can be other reasons for ragged fin. He never states he saw the fish attacking you are assuming that. I still have 3 very peaceful puffers in my community tank with no issues
jacob2
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by jacob2 »

I do wonder how much keeping >1 dwarf puffer affects their aggression level. I have kept my single male DP in a 5.5g with 3 otos and 4 amano shrimp, now in a 10g with just the 4 amanos. I've never seen any evidence of any aggression. These have always been extremely densely planted tanks, but the amanos clearly don't give a damn about the puffer if their behavior is any indication.

It could just be a coincidence because perhaps almost all DP owners keep more than 1, but nearly every negative experience I read about involves multiple puffers in the tank. With my own guy recently moving into a 10g, large-ish for a solo DP tank, I thought about trying to find him a couple of girlyfriends for some potential breeding. But then, I thought, why potentially ruin what has been a perfect ownership experience? It seems to me that this DP, almost certainly a full adult at around 1 year old now, has never had reason to act on his territorial instincts. Maybe that's a good thing.