Hi! Getting back into puffer keeping

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Benjamins
Puffer Fry

Hi! Getting back into puffer keeping

Post by Benjamins »

Hi all,
Well after about a year of not having any puffers I decided to get some again because they are one of the most enjoyable fish to keep.
So after wondering if I should get green spotted or dwarfs I decided to go with dwarf puffers.
i decided on them because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with salt water and I enjoy breeding fish, which dwarf puffs do in captivity, green spotters don't.
The only problem is that my girlfriend finds dwarfs aren't as interesting because they are so small, and since I will be putting them in a 40 gallon breeder aquarium they might be hard to see, especially since it will be heavily planted.
Any thoughts? Are dwarf puffers as personable as green spotted puffers?
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Hi! Getting back into puffer keeping

Post by pufferjw »

You could put some fast, colorful fish in the tank if you want it to look more interesting. My dwarf puffer is pretty friendly, as he swims up to the glass when I walk by.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Re: Hi! Getting back into puffer keeping

Post by TOPuffers »

I've not kept GSPs so I cannot directly compare them to DPs.

Our 3 dwarf puffers do come to watch us when we peek in to the tank. They also follow my husband's hand around when it is feeding time, up and down the glass. He feeds them frozen blood worms from his fingers, and they are fearless about charging up and pulling the worms away.

The only time our DPs become shy is late at night, when they would rather be snoozing. When we peek in and see them curled on a leaf, they will often watch us over one shoulder to make sure they are safe. If we watch too long they uncurl and float over to the glass as though to tell us to turn off the light and let them sleep!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley