Feeding

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
lightsout
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Pao abei
Location (country): Midwest, USA

Feeding

Post by lightsout »

So my first new puffer arrives today, its an Abei puffer. I believe it is 3-4 inches. Not much info on the internet in regards to this species. I picked up some 2-3" mussels from the local market and I'm wondering if the mussels are too big for the puffer or should he be able to handle it on its own?

Im planning on setting up a 10g breeder tank for ramshorn snails, already ordered 20 they should be here next monday. But in the mean time im looking for ideas to feed this puffer.

How long can I leave the mussels in the tank before it gets dangerous as far as ammonia levels and such. Do I have to assist with the mussels to help the puffer eat them?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Feeding

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd start with live food like earthworms, crabs & small crays. Mussels are probably small enough but they just lay there. I'd crack it open, so he can see the meat.
Here's the rest: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lightsout
Puffer Fry

Post by lightsout »

I picked up hikari clams on a half shell, he ate one but the other didnt really pay attention to it much.. He really loved the ramshorn snails but im out at the moment.

Are frozen silversides or salmon ok to feed him?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

They generally are not piscivores, more crustacean-eaters. Try worms, too.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

lightsout
Puffer Fry

Post by lightsout »

OK so it's been about 4-5hrs since he last ate only one clam on a half shell and he's still laying on the ground, same spot and everything

Any idea why? He did the same thing yesterday after eating one but wasn't laying this long.

**update laid on the same spot through the night up until the morning started to swim around again, is one half clam too much for my puffer? Starting to see a trend when I feed half shell clams..He didnt do that when he ate ramshorn snails... back story on his diet, he was a shop pet for 4 months and the owner told me his diet consisted of pe mysis shrimp, beef heart, and an occasional feeder fish
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

lightsout wrote:OK so it's been about 4-5hrs since he last ate only one clam on a half shell and he's still laying on the ground, same spot and everything

Any idea why? He did the same thing yesterday after eating one but wasn't laying this long.

**update laid on the same spot through the night up until the morning started to swim around again, is one half clam too much for my puffer? Starting to see a trend when I feed half shell clams..He didnt do that when he ate ramshorn snails... back story on his diet, he was a shop pet for 4 months and the owner told me his diet consisted of pe mysis shrimp, beef heart, and an occasional feeder fish
Not seen it with my puffer but my gobies would do this if they ate too much.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

When my puffers overeat, they just lay there rocking back & forth on their fat, overextended stomach saying, "I can't believe I ate the whooooole thing!"

lightsout
Puffer Fry

Post by lightsout »

Thats what I initially thought, but it was just one half clam shell..that's the only thing he ate all day.

How many times a week should I feed him, hes about 4-5 inches..He has a really nice shape, dont really want him to get round and fat