New to DP.. setup help please?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
moh
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States, Illinois

New to DP.. setup help please?

Post by moh »

I have a 20 gallon regular tank Ill be setting up in the next few days. Ive been told by 2 LFS to use 8 to 10 zebra danios to cycle the tank between 4 to 8 weeks. They advised me to bring in water samples so they could test levels for me (as Im still new and learning about levels, they have offered to teach me through my water samples). I have a Marineland Penguin 150 filter for up to 30 gallons. Rock for the bottom of the tank and will have plenty of fake plants. I have bacteria to add to the new water, water dechlorinator (was told my area uses groundwater which is best for the fish as it avtually has minerals). Also have an additive to help with amonia etc.

I have several questions, sorry :(
The LFS stocks 4 to 5 DPs at a time, and they are just itty bitty babies, I went and looked at the 4 they currently have today. They probably wouldnt be old enough to determine sex when its time for me to purchase them. Will this present a problem if I end up with multiple males and not enough females? What would be the solution to this, as I know adding juvenile DPs to a tank with bigger DPs who've established terrritory can become a gruesome scene. Would it be possible to remove a male and put a new juvenile in and rearrange the tank? Id be afraid the juvenile would become food?

I want a scavenger at the bottom of the tank. Would prefer it be something that could help with algea as well as helping to clean up any leftover food. Ive read a lot of people mention cherry shrimp as a good tank mate. Opinions on this?

Do I need decorations that will provide plenty of holes/hiding spaces to help establish territory and prevent aggression? What other types of decorations should I use? Ive seen driftwood mentioned, however Ive never seen any for sale at my LFS.. but I also wasnt really seeking it out.

For my 20 gal tank, how many DPs can I stock comfortably? Id like as many as possible without dangering their health and happiness. Id also like the shrimp mentioned above and possibly some schooling fish? I read somewhere danios, tetras or barbs may be okay and not become food.
moh
Dwarf Puffer

Re: New to DP.. setup help please?

Post by moh »

Oh, thanks to much reading back on forums (abput 8 pages in I think) Ive also thought some marimo moss balls could help accommodate not having live plants (I dont do well with plants, no green thumb), and using mainly silk plants to adaquetly breaks sight lines.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Look up fish less cycle in the library. Hammerd right now will answer the other questions later.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/
library/puffers-in-focus/sexing-carinotetraodon-travancoricus-the-dwarf-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

Ive read those, thanks! :) Just asking about more generalized questions regarding my tank.. like the filter. Ive read a lot of people on these forums like aquaclear, but Ive heard theyre a lot noisier and Ive read a lot of great reviews regarding the bio wheel on the marinland penguin 150. And Im also worried as there is essentially no chance Ill be able to identify gender when purchasing, I havent read anywhere yet if mature DPs will put up juvenile DPs being introduced to the tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have been running AC filters on my tanks for 40 years. I will never use anything else! Other than an added Eheim canister for larger tanks. I can stack the media the way I want, with sponge, floss, Biomax.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

Thanks for the update on your experience! :) Have you ever tried/heard anything about the biowheel with DPs? I invested $30 in this one and not sure its returnable (not installed, still researching before I setup, want the perfect home for my DPs when I get them!) I could check if the LFS has an aquaclear I could swap for. Are they loud? My tank is going in our bedroom and my boyfriends only concern is the noise. If its too loud I may have to move the tank to the back room (with the air conditioner) which I dont want to do
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I just don't like the fact you have to keep buying inserts & you can't add floss to them, which "polishes" the water, crystal clear. If you still have the box/receipt, IDK why you couldn't exchange it for an AC.

moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

Which AC filter would you recommend for my soze tabk with DPs and possibly attempting a couple tank mates (I read that kuhli loaches sometimes work with DPs if they have sufficient hideaway spots and broken sight lines)
20 gallon: Attempting live plants. AC 50. Small gravel substrate. Current LED Light + set on plant setting 8 hours daily. Driftwood and rainbow stone.

10 gallon: Aqueon Quiet flow 20. Blue pet store gravel. Crown tail betta (walmart rescue).
moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

I think I do like the AC filters better. Probably go with the 30, as DPs have a high bioload. Im really hoping the LFS with return or swap, not sure if they have AC. They made me feel bad about returning another item, because theyre just a small local struggling store.. so Im nervous lol! This LFS doesnt stock puffers at all, ao Im not sure theyll be understanding. What exactly is the floss, Ive heard of it before but being a first time tank owner, Im not sure what Im looking for.
20 gallon: Attempting live plants. AC 50. Small gravel substrate. Current LED Light + set on plant setting 8 hours daily. Driftwood and rainbow stone.

10 gallon: Aqueon Quiet flow 20. Blue pet store gravel. Crown tail betta (walmart rescue).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I usually go with the largest that can fit on my tank, without tossing the puffers around.

moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

Ill see what the LFS offers. Is there a specific name for the floss that I can add to the filter?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Walmart sells pillow stuffing, I use that. ;)

moh
Dwarf Puffer

Post by moh »

Really? Where do I put it in the filter?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

In the AC, it goes between the sponge & Biomax. About 1" of floss.