Feeding Pea Puffers in a community tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish
Location (country): north america

Feeding Pea Puffers in a community tank

Post by mislaura »

When I had to move my Pea Puffers Bob Bertha and Betty in to my 75 gallon community tank because a cracked developed in there tank and I made the choice to move them and the biggest challenge has been keeping them well fed so the other fish don't look as tasty to them. First off I don't know if its pure luck or I am speaking to soon but I have had no issues in behavior with the puffers or others in the tank and its been going on a few months now. I have from the largest being silver dollars and the smallest being 5 striped tetras. I put snails in a clear plastic medicine bottle and float it. For the most part the snails stay in it and the pea puffers find them and the other fish other then a guppy have no interest in the bottle floating. I have also found that freeze dried tubifex that press on the glass in a spot the bigger fish have a harder time getting to also gives the puffers a chance to eat without be in the swarm of fish that come with feeding in a community tank. I do buy black worms once a month that the whole tank enjoys but the puffers wont touch a flake or a granule yet. Frozen red worms are taken but hard to get to the pea puffers when the silvers get piggy I have to lead the puffers to safer spots to get there's. It has been a challenge but a lot of fun to watch them interact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Feeding Pea Puffers in a community tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think you're ever gonna see those puffers eat flakes!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

What a brilliant idea of feeding snails! I am stealing it. That way, the carnage is contained and I don't have to worry about missing any empty snails with my turkey baster. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to TPF! I love DPs!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish
Location (country): north america

Post by mislaura »

I know they will most likely never eat flakes but they do watch with interest when I feed the flakes and pellets to the rest of the fish. I was glad they will eat a few other things since I don't have a steady supply of black worms its feast or famine and I know they need full bellies