Stocking density advice

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
catfish12
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Zealand

Stocking density advice

Post by catfish12 »

Hi everyone,

I've gained a lot of information from this forum over the last month and finally feel ready to start my dwarf puffer tank but just wanted some advice before I went ahead!

I have a 51 litre tank that I plan to heavily plant with java moss, crypts, ambulia etc. After cycling it I would like to keep one dwarf freshwater puffer, five otos and two bumblebee gobies. Would this be an okay number of fish to have in this size tank? I work in an aquarium with huge million litre tanks so I don't feel confident in the stocking density of a nano-ish freshwater tropical tank because of lack of experience.

Also, would it be okay to have the gobies in FW if they are already FW in the store? I don't feel comfortable keeping a fish in FW if it would prefer brackish water.

Hope someone can help!
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Re: Stocking density advice

Post by TheStig »

Welcome!

If I am not mistaken, while bumblebee gobies spawn in fresh water, they do best in brackish waters. I was hoping to add them to my tank, but changed my mind after reading up on them.

As for stocking density, check out aqadvisor.com It takes tank size and filter into account when listing your list of fish.

Good luck! DPs are seriously the cutest little fish!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

catfish12 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've gained a lot of information from this forum over the last month and finally feel ready to start my dwarf puffer tank but just wanted some advice before I went ahead!

I have a 51 litre tank that I plan to heavily plant with java moss, crypts, ambulia etc. After cycling it I would like to keep one dwarf freshwater puffer, five otos and two bumblebee gobies. Would this be an okay number of fish to have in this size tank? I work in an aquarium with huge million litre tanks so I don't feel confident in the stocking density of a nano-ish freshwater tropical tank because of lack of experience.

Also, would it be okay to have the gobies in FW if they are already FW in the store? I don't feel comfortable keeping a fish in FW if it would prefer brackish water.

Hope someone can help!
Not sure about the stocking of Ottos but I've read that they can be difficult to get feeding.
Bumblebee Gobies can be kept in freshwater tanks but they prefer hard water, with their need for this hard water I wouldn't have thought that they would be compatible with the Dwarfs and Ottos. You may want to look at a Goby that prefers soft water instead, such as the Peacock goby?
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Post by itlagswrx »

I personally don't have an Oto, but a friend of mine has two and she also stated that the first month is critical for otos. I guess there is a high possibility they don't eat when you get them. I wouldn't let that scare you away from getting them though. Gotta take a risk sometimes. My recent fish was a yellow clown goby and they have the same issue with taking food at first. After a lot of times trying to spit feed, etc., he's doing just fine.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

My suggestion to you adding Otos is, since you do not have an established tank, to supplement them with blanched veggies since there won't be sufficient algae to sustain all 5 of them. They are voracious algae eaters, and a 51 litre tank probably will not provide enough algae for 5 of the little guys.

I feed mine blanched zukes and cucumber, as well as Repashy Super Green. Hillehaus suggested nori seaweed too, as long as it isn't salted or flavoured.

Apart from that, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the fish you listed.

My only other advice is to research the species of fish properly, and don't always rely on forums or LFS for advice.

Good luck!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk