Dwarf Puffers & Bumblebee Catfish?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
JennLynn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Dwarf Puffers & Bumblebee Catfish?

Post by JennLynn »

Hi All! I think that I know the answer, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience keeping pea puffers with bumblebee catfish? They stay pretty small, are quick enough not to get terrorized and will eat the left overs on the bottom of the tank.. I'm finding complete lack of success with ghost shrimp; they know they're an awesome snack. I have an otto in there, but he just gets the algae.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf Puffers & Bumblebee Catfish?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Bumblebee cats will eat DPs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Julia321
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I currently have three dwarf puffers :)
Location (country): United States

Post by Julia321 »

I went to my local fish store and I was looking for a tank mate for my puffers. Its a pretty trusted store and the guy there showed me a few options and I found this little catfish and he said that it would work with my puffers. I didn't even check to see exactly what kind of cat it was because I've never had any problems with their recommendations before and when I looked at my receipt when I got home it said it was a Vespa Bumblebee catfish. Hes only been in my tank for a day and I only saw him for a few minutes when I first introduced him. Not sure what hes capable of so far but he doesn't seem like the type to gobble up my puffers.
moh
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States, Illinois

Post by moh »

Curious to know if your DP are still doing well with the bumblebee catfish Julia123? I also considered a bumblebee when I setup my tank, but am just learning now and gavent established a tank yet.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

A bumblebee catfish is very different from a goby. Also, just because there is no obvious aggression / predatory behaviours the first day, or even the first week, doesn't mean everyone in the tank is in the clear.

Settling in, maturity, etc, are important factors to consider in fish behaviour.

Also, always do your own research despite what the LFS staff say... or even forums, just to be sure so one will never have to run into the issue of "Oh, but my LFS said X X and X".

Personally, I wldn't put a bumblebee catfish in w/ DPs. PP is one of the few who does know puffers thoroughly, and their needs. I'd say her input is pretty darn spot on.
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
Julia321
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I currently have three dwarf puffers :)
Location (country): United States

Post by Julia321 »

I still haven't had any problems with my bumblebee cat. He comes out during feeding and they all seem to get along fine.