Dps don't seem interested in snails

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Localhobo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): London, England

Dps don't seem interested in snails

Post by Localhobo »

I have a species only tank with 5 dwarf puffers, they go nut for bloodworms but I wanted to give them a little variety so I bought some small red ramshorn snails. I have been putting in a few of these squished into the tank but the puffers don't seem interested at all. I am reluctant to throw them in live in case the puffers don't eat them and I can't find the snails later.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible my little guys simply don't like snails? Or is it likley to be that they aren't moving?
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: Dps don't seem interested in snails

Post by Hillehaus »

Your snails may be a little too large for the DPs. Since they seem like they are now expecting worms, it may take a little time for one of the DPs to take a bite out of any snail you try to feed them. I don't think this will last long though. In my experience, after the first taste you cant put a snail in there that will live more than a few hours. Definitely wait for a more experienced member to weigh in though before you introduce a potential pest into your tank.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Try feeding crushed snails after a day or two of not feeding, also try soaking in a little crushed garlic to make it irresistible. Once they know what it is they will devour all snails added
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Localhobo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): London, England

Post by Localhobo »

Thanks for the advice I tried the garlic thing and again they ignored the crushed snails for a good 4 hours before I took them out and simply gave them some bloodworms. Could it be they are so used to bloodworms they have forgotten what to do with a snail?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

It's possible, don't feed for a couple of days and try again. If they look healthy it won't hurt them
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

If you can find them at an aquatic store near you, try live blackworms -- I've never seen a DP refuse those yet! Longtime forum member and ultimate puffer mentor RTR reared his DPs almost exclusively on live blackworms and swears by them for growth and development.
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

If you haven't yet, try putting the snails in live. I have 3 dwarf puffers and feed them pond and ramshorn snails about twice a week (in addition to frozen food). In my experience they tend to loose interest once the snail stops moving if they dont get it all out in the first few bites.