Feeding a pea puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
gr8tful1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Feeding a pea puffer

Post by gr8tful1 »

I have had a pea puffer for about a month. He is doing great, far as I can tell. He is in a 10G heated tank with lots of silk plants. I feed him mainly frozen blood worms with occasional snails and frozen brine shrimp. I feed him with a baster, so as not to pollute the water with too much food he doesn't eat. Still, quite a bit floats to the bottom and is hard to get out. I feed him until his belly is softly rounded, as per instructions in pufferpedia, which is usually a few of the tiny blood worms. My question is, how many times a day should I feed him? Any suggestions?
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Feeding a pea puffer

Post by hadla »

Welcome to the forum :) you might find that dps are highly addictive! Feeding once a day is fine with skipping one day a week... I actually feed all my fish every other day...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
gr8tful1
Puffer Fry

Post by gr8tful1 »

Thanks! He is doing really well and is getting more and more friendly. Very fun! Initially I started with three juveniles at the advice of the LFS, but then read that they may not get along as they grew (and were already fighting over food) and as new puffer (and fish) owner I didn't want to deal with aggression. So, took 2 back to the store and am happy to learn with one, rather than 3. But, I can certainly see getting addicted to them as I learn more and more what I am doing!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

I feed mine every other day as well. I wouldn't personally recommend more than once a day.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk