DP. They are hungry but won't eat!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
stephyl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

DP. They are hungry but won't eat!

Post by stephyl »

Hello!

We just recently got some pea puffers on Saturday, march.7 . It was a new tank and hadn't been cycled yet, it was set up as an emergency tank for my sisters pleco who was getting bullied by my brothers fahaka. my sister got excited and couldn't wait to get some DP. They are just finally starting to come out and look for food after this adjustment period. There are snails in the tank but they are growing really fast, and I have been offering baby blood worms. But it seems they are still a bit too big for the fish to eat. They just watch them sink to the bottom and look at them like, WTF am I supposed to do with this? They are obviously hungry, and they are so tiny so I don't know what else to offer them or if there's a way I can make the blood worms smaller? Should I try cutting them while they are frozen? I want them to eat I am worried they will starve :(
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: DP. They are hungry but won't eat!

Post by bertie 83 »

If it's an in cycled tank your water parameters are likely off which could be suppressing their hunger. Grab a bottle of safestart to get the tank going. What are the readings from your water tests? If all is good try soaking their food in garlic
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
stephyl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by stephyl »

I know our tank is still adjusting, our PH is a bit high so we are going to do our next water change with some distilled water. We have a couple small live plants and we are going to be getting some marimo moss balls as well. But it's a new tank I know it will take a couple weeks for it to cycle, they have been hiding since sunday and started coming out today looking for food. I cut up the blood worms while they were frozen which made them smaller but they still didn't touch it. I will try it with some garlic tomorrow. I think we will get some more baby snails, hopefully that will perk them up. they are so tiny it seems our options are limited!!!
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

stephyl wrote:Hello!

We just recently got some pea puffers on Saturday, march.7 . It was a new tank and hadn't been cycled yet, it was set up as an emergency tank for my sisters pleco who was getting bullied by my brothers fahaka. my sister got excited and couldn't wait to get some DP. They are just finally starting to come out and look for food after this adjustment period. There are snails in the tank but they are growing really fast, and I have been offering baby blood worms. But it seems they are still a bit too big for the fish to eat. They just watch them sink to the bottom and look at them like, WTF am I supposed to do with this? They are obviously hungry, and they are so tiny so I don't know what else to offer them or if there's a way I can make the blood worms smaller? Should I try cutting them while they are frozen? I want them to eat I am worried they will starve :(
defrost them, chop them up, and rinse them in a small strainer (I use a designated tea strainer with a small mesh), you can add some mashed garlic (minimal amount), feed............
can you get live blackworms where you live?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Get that tank cycled ASAP. Here is how viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Alleycat
Puffer Fry
Location (country): S.W. Ohio

Post by Alleycat »

stephyl wrote:Hello!

We just recently got some pea puffers on Saturday, march.7 . It was a new tank and hadn't been cycled yet, it was set up as an emergency tank for my sisters pleco who was getting bullied by my brothers fahaka.
Bought fish on March 7th but when was this tank set up for the pleco? A week? A day ?
Do you have a test kit to check the nitrates or ammonia levels?
I've never seen my DP eat the worms I put in it's tank. It picks at everything though, and has been surviving 6 months so far and is a chunky little bugger.