Transitioning a baby dwarf puffer's food

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
smichele
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Transitioning a baby dwarf puffer's food

Post by smichele »

Hello, I just got two new baby dwarf freshwater puffers. At the place I got them from they were being fed black worms. My dad also has puffers and feeds them blood worms and brine. Could I transition my puffers to brine and blood worms? Would it be a good idea or should I keep them on black worms? I tried mixing black worms with brine and blood worms and freezing them. I did not thaw the food out and my puffers didn't really eat. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do please?
grup
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA, Florida

Re: Transitioning a baby dwarf puffer's food

Post by grup »

The trick on any new aquarium fish is to get it to start eating, period.

Most small fish relish live brine shrimp for two reasons:

1. They're alive, and that spasmodic swimming motion triggers an automatic predator response.

2. They're bite sized. <slorp>

I'd suggest live baby brine shrimp first. Note: they are not a good long term staple
food due to lack of nutrients. Once your fish start eating the baby live briners,
mix in some thawed out red and black worms, broken mosquito larvae, and very small snails.
I'd also suggest live-breeder fry if you have a "guppy tank of the condemned".
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Skip the brine, just use as a treat occasionally as there is little to no nutritional value. Try soaking bloodworms etc with a little crushed garlic, works wonders. Once they get hungry they will eat, putting worms into flow makes them wiggle making them look alive
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
smichele
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by smichele »

Thank You! I have gotten one of my little ones eating the blood worms. The other is still iffy. I did some water testing this morning (with a liquid testing kit) and these are the results.
*PH: the color looked about a 6.6 or 6.8
Ammonia: around a 0 or .25
Are these ok? Last time I checked the other elements such as hardness of the water and nitrates, they were good but should I test them again?
*Also I have been told so many different things and I want a straight answer. How many dwarf puffers can you have in a 10 gallon tank?
*I also have two kories and one ghost shrimp.
*I also read that curved tails may mean they are stressed. If so one of my little ones always has his/her tail curled, is there anything I can do?
*I cycled my tank for two weeks before I put them in.
*I have 4 different types of plants in my tank.
*Should I be worried that my puffers tend to stay close to the bottom of the tank?
Sorry for all of the questions I just want to get all the information to raise the little ones. I think that is all the information, if anyone can give me any other advice at all that would be greatly appreciated!
freshpuffer1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: A Pea puffer named Puffy, another Pea puffer named Puff, and a Amazon puffer named Cheeto.
Location (country): America, Georgia

Post by freshpuffer1 »

smichele wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 pm Thank You! I have gotten one of my little ones eating the blood worms. The other is still iffy. I did some water testing this morning (with a liquid testing kit) and these are the results.
Are these ok? Last time I checked the other elements such as hardness of the water and nitrates, they were good but should I test them again?
*Also I have been told so many different things and I want a straight answer. How many dwarf puffers can you have in a 10 gallon tank?
*I also read that curved tails may mean they are stressed. If so one of my little ones always has his/her tail curled, is there anything I can do?
*Should I be worried that my puffers tend to stay close to the bottom of the tank?
Sorry for all of the questions I just want to get all the information to raise the little ones. I think that is all the information, if anyone can give me any other advice at all that would be greatly appreciated!

Mine sometimes curves it's tail, but it is perfectly normal.
Hopefully the helps! :D freshpuffer1
freshpuffer1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: A Pea puffer named Puffy, another Pea puffer named Puff, and a Amazon puffer named Cheeto.
Location (country): America, Georgia

Post by freshpuffer1 »

freshpuffer1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm [quote=smichele post_id=358139 time=<a href="tel:1424973758">1424973758</a> user_id=14604]
Thank You! I have gotten one of my little ones eating the blood worms. The other is still iffy. I did some water testing this morning (with a liquid testing kit) and these are the results.
[/quote\]

My rule for pea puffers are 3 gallon per pea puffer.
Hopefully the helps! :D freshpuffer1
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Better rule is 5g/DP.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"