Dwarf Puffer Filtration

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
TLeaf
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puffer Filtration

Post by TLeaf »

Hi, I just created an account and did some exploring but still have some questions on filtration for dwarf puffers. I have a 17 gallon tank and I'm unsure on what the filtration guidelines are for these little guys. I read they produce a lot of waste. What's the reason behind this? I used to keep goldfish. Surely they don't produce as much waste as goldfish right? :lol: As of right now, I'm debating between the fluval 106 and 206 canisters.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Dwarf Puffer Filtration

Post by G S P Freak »

Pea puffers aren't as bad as goldfish, but some puffers are! I'd go for the 206, it'll provide enough filtration x10 and good water circulation. The aquaclear filters are also good, I have an AC30 on my 10g DP tank and it works awesome, super quiet too!
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Welcome to the forum!

Puffers do create a lot of waste due to what they eat compared to other fish on pellet/flake diets. With only a 17g tank those Fluval models are way overkill but if you want to do it, I say go for it. That way you will be all prepared for a bigger tank upgrade in the future. Might have to set it up as a spray bar on the return or else the current may be too much. For your tank an Aquaclear 50 would be a good choice and they are around $40 online.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
TLeaf
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by TLeaf »

Okay, so 10x filtration would be good. I've had aquaclears before and I agree that they work great. However, I want to get a canister filter this time after reading their filtration is superior to HOBs so I'll most likely get the 106 (145 gph) with a spraybar :)