Feeding

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Ayalas
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Opie- tetraodon abei
Location (country): USA

Feeding

Post by Ayalas »

So I bought Opie a variety of foods now, including, frozen oysters on a half shell, blood worms, earth worms, and freeze dried jumbo crill. I’m a little nervous on feeding him the blood worms- mostly because they remind me of intestinal type parasites lol. Should I rinse them before I feed them to him? Thanks! He loves the earthworms so far and tomorrow I think I’ll try the oyster after I let it thaw out for a bit. I hope he can bite into it well, I’ve only seen his teeth once and they aren’t that big.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Re: Feeding

Post by DMD123 »

Sounds like you are going down the right path to give him a variety of foods. It would be a good idea to also get a liquid vitamin like Boyd's to soak food in. Also if you have not got any feeding tongs yet, it would be a good idea. Hand feeding a puffer is not a good idea. I end up taking the meat out of the shell but it is a good way for them to scrape the meat out to keep their teeth in check.
Last edited by DMD123 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Re: Feeding

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to the feeding tongs. Its good to use the as early as possible. This will allow your puff to disassociate your yours as food. If you hand feed its likely to get nipped when doing maintenance.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk