Does Dwarf Puffer Gender Matter?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
PuffDadie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Does Dwarf Puffer Gender Matter?

Post by PuffDadie »

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and new to the world of Dwarf Puffers. I've been in the hobby of aquariums for several years, but have only ever kept freshwater community fish.

Recently, I set up a 10 gallon tank for the sole purpose of keep a dwarf puffer, however I had no luck finding a LFS store in the area that carried any. Luckily, I had a LFS that was kind enough to order one for me, and the owner actually ended up buying 3 so he could start keeping some in the store. So they're set to arrive tomorrow, and I may have a choice in picking between a male or female. My question is, does it matter? Are there many differences behavior wise or in appearance?
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Does Dwarf Puffer Gender Matter?

Post by Welch4 »

As far as apearances the males will have a visible iridescence around thier eyes and a light brown line down thier stomache, and females do not. This being said it is can be very difficult/impossible to sex juveniles. If your just keeping a single puff sex shouldnt matter. I personally like the look of the females better.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does Dwarf Puffer Gender Matter?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Not if you're only keeping 1. I do like the wrinkles behind the eyes that the males have.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"