Friendly Puffer for 40B

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
llamaroad
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Oviedo, FL

Friendly Puffer for 40B

Post by llamaroad »

Hey guys!

I plan on setting up a 40B in the future and would like to have a lone, larger puffer. Obviously I won't have an Mbu or Fahaka, but I'd like something larger than my Figure 8. My other request is that it be as interactive and friendly as my Figure 8. He always swims up to me and lets me hand feed him. Is there a larger puffer that can do that?

I was thinking maybe an Arrowhead, but I wasn't sure how friendly they really are.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Friendly Puffer for 40B

Post by Pufferpunk »

Lurkers do just that--hide & lurk--often buried up to their eyeballs in the sand. You'd be better off with a GSP or one of the Monotrete puffers. Check out the Pufferpedia here, under the Learn tab.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Puffers can and do bite the hand that feeds them. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33934&p=351725#p351725
Sorry to bring up the subject Stratters.

I love my hairy puffer and find him to be outgoing when he wants too... when he is hungry. I have him in a 40B with an Aquaclear 110. I have a coarse type gravel and he does not bury himself but seems to like being out in the open even though he has caves he could be in. While not a 'big' puffer he is one of my favorite fish I have.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
llamaroad
Puffer Fry

Post by llamaroad »

Pufferpunk wrote:Lurkers do just that--hide & lurk--often buried up to their eyeballs in the sand. You'd be better off with a GSP or one of the Monotrete puffers. Check out the Pufferpedia here, under the Learn tab.
Thanks!
DMD123 wrote:Puffers can and do bite the hand that feeds them. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33934&p=351725#p351725

I love my hairy puffer and find him to be outgoing when he wants too... when he is hungry. I have him in a 40B with an Aquaclear 110. I have a coarse type gravel and he does not bury himself but seems to like being out in the open even though he has caves he could be in. While not a 'big' puffer he is one of my favorite fish I have.
Thank you as well!
llamaroad
Puffer Fry

Post by llamaroad »

Pufferpunk wrote:Lurkers do just that--hide & lurk--often buried up to their eyeballs in the sand. You'd be better off with a GSP or one of the Monotrete puffers. Check out the Pufferpedia here, under the Learn tab.
And I also had another quick question. My Figure Eight is in full freshwater at the moment. I'd say he's around an inch long, maybe less, so I assume he's pretty young. When should I start making the water brackish?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Now
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

llamaroad
Puffer Fry

Post by llamaroad »

Pufferpunk wrote:Now
Okay. Will the plants I have in there be okay? (Anubias, Java Fern)

Also, I bought a piece of driftwood for the puffer to explore, and there happened to be a little bumblebee catfish in it. Will it die with the salinity change?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Anubias will "melt" in BW. That catfish is not a BW fish, I believe it prefers softwater conditions. Driftwood will also soften the water--not good for hard, BW.

llamaroad
Puffer Fry

Post by llamaroad »

Pufferpunk wrote:Anubias will "melt" in BW. That catfish is not a BW fish, I believe it prefers softwater conditions. Driftwood will also soften the water--not good for hard, BW.
Well dang. Is a salinity of around 1.005 good?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Zmon123
Puffer Fry

Post by Zmon123 »

llamaroad wrote:
Thanks!
DMD123 wrote:Puffers can and do bite the hand that feeds them. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33934&p=351725#p351725

Thank you as well!

Hi, I see you have a hairy puffer. I just got one and im looking for more information on the hairy puffer. I cant seem to find anything useful. Also, how are you feeding the puffer? I have blood worms and snails. Anything would help. thank you
adrian
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3" Congo Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by adrian »

I don't have a hairy puffer, but I do have a congo puffer and there diet is pretty similar from what I understand. I feed him/her frozen raw whole shrimp defrosted in liquid vitamin and red wiggler worms. I do know that DMD123 has been pretty active on the site recently with a lot of his experience with his hairy puffer so if you search around in the freshwater puffer section and the general discussion section you can find out a lot. Good luck with your new friend!
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Zmon123 wrote:Hi, I see you have a hairy puffer. I just got one and im looking for more information on the hairy puffer. I cant seem to find anything useful. Also, how are you feeding the puffer? I have blood worms and snails. Anything would help. thank you
Why not start up your own post on hairy puffers and we can talk about them more.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Post by Stratters »

I feed tiger prawns (only raw in shell ones I can find where I live), squid, earthworms, and snails - small garden ones that I've cleansed for a week on spinach and other veg. Piggy hates mussels and clams, won't touch them, but he will eat ordinary snails. He loves prawns and earthworms best, just make sure that if your using anything from your garden that it's organic and hasn't been exposed to any pesticides etc.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

I'm in the process of building a full marine 40b for my GSP to move into (currently resides in a 29). They get a good bit larger than F8 and have a very similar personality in my experience.

Every now and again when I'm sitting near the tank I get that creepy feeling like I'm getting stared at. That is because my GSP is staring straight at the side of my head...I don't think you can go wrong with one. it cracks me up with its antics.

Depending on the individual, they cap out at 6" or so.