WORMS - help identify

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Alduin
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

WORMS - help identify

Post by Alduin »

Hi everyone. Need help identifying a worm and determining if it's a problem.

Background: I'm a new Fahaka puffer owner, and started a separate 10gal tank just for snails (mostly ramshorn and some mystery snails). I was looking at the snails with a portable microscope (yes, I'm a nerd) and noticed something moving on the glass. On closer inspection it was a worm!!!! Creeped me out. I've spent all day trying to identify it.

Worm in question: It's white almost invisible to the naked eye - about 1mm in length. What type of worm is this? Roundworm Nematode? Planaria? My main concern is whether this is an intestinal parasite or something that just exists in the tank? Photo should be attached (taken with microscope - mega zoomed in).

Theoretical: Also, if puffers are wild caught and eat snails, it seems like it would be nearly impossible to keep them worm free. Do they just live with worms? I don't like the idea of that, so I would like to farm my own "clean" snails.

The plan thus far: My current plan is to treat my snail tank and the puffer tank with Levamisole HCL so it won't kill the snails (as opposed to Fenbendazol), or is this something I should even be worrying about? If they just live in the tank, should I put some little, cheap fish in the snail tank to eat them?

BTW, Fahaka looks totally healthy and has a wonderful appetitie.

Thank you so much for your feedback and help.
Worm.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alduin on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: WORMS - help identify

Post by bertie 83 »

Sounds like planaria, they live in likely all f/w tanks. You see them when there is an explosion in population possibly due to over feeding or not enough maintenance. Don't try to wipe them out just reduce feeding and up tank maintenance
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: WORMS - help identify

Post by purplecandle »

DON'T PANIC! It's no big deal :) Very likely harmless (along with the other nasties you can't see in your water)

Look Here..

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/worms.htm