Filter Baffle?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
mariilene
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Filter Baffle?

Post by mariilene »

Hey there! I'm fish-in cycling my 10G tank with three minnows to be replaced by six pea puffers when the tank is ready. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 20 HOB filter. From what I've read pea puffers prefer a lighter water flow and this one is a bit strong. It's also a bit noisy because of a small crack in the very top of the glass that just barely prevents me from filling the tank enough to completely cover the outflow.

Water Bottle: I've read about it and watched videos and I don't like the idea of having one in my tank, even though it's convenient, mostly because of the sharp edges.

Sponges in the filter intake and/or outflow: I've read a bit on this and it seems solid, but I would like some other opinions before trying it.

Pantyhose over the intake: I like the fin-safety feature this could add, though I'm not sure how much it will help flow.

Does anyone have any other filter baffle suggestions or thoughts on these?
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Filter Baffle?

Post by RTR »

It is extremely risky to operate cracked tanks. Please get an intact tank which can be operated safely. Catastrophic failure of cracked tanks is common and unpredictable. Don't risk fish, your floors, carpets, etc. Discard the tank or use to house a small insect or herp.

Also read up on fishless cycling in the library here, there is no reason to stress or risk fish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

+1 on fishless cycling! No reason to cause those minnows distress & 3 minnows may not equal the bioload of the puffers. You can only put 2 pea puffers in a 10g tank: library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to RTR on the cracked tank and +1 to Pufferpunk on the stocking guidelines. I had my own pitfalls with peapuffer over crowding before I found this forum and it resulted in alot of puff on puff fighting. Something no owner should ever wish for thier puffs.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk