Congo Owner to Be

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
gabeauuu
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer
Figure 8 Puffer
Congo Puffer *Soon*
Location (country): Singapore

Congo Owner to Be

Post by gabeauuu »

Hi, I'm new in this forum after falling in love with puffers.
I have been rearing fishes for about a good 8 - 10 years (estimation due to quitting hobby for serving the nation).

Puffers have always been cute to me but the thought of housing them individually or creating brackish water conditions seemed too cumbersome for me so I
stuck with Ranchus, Cichlids, & Planted aquaria with all sorts of community fish. After a long hiatus from the hobby, I decided to return to it with my girlfriend
exclaiming that she wants a puffer (GSP), 3 to be exact.

So with that, I got a 20G freshwater aquarium entering its 3rd week of brackish water conversion. During this time, I also studied and learnt more of the different puffers, watched
each & every breed performing their cutest traits via Youtube and begun falling in love with the behaviouristic of the Green Spotted Puffer's tank thats right next to my bed.

Nevertheless, the GSP was too cute for me and I decided I wanted something more manly and boorish so I went hunting around my local fish aquariums and placed an order for a 3.5" Red Congo. He will be ready to be bagged home in 7 days time as I prepare his tank, a 25G tank running on a Internal Filter (Hydra Filter) as well as a Canister Filter which are filled with bio-filtration materials used in my Koi pond. I have picked up Quartz sand (Reddish) and Black Sand which I hope are alright (Fear of it cutting the puffer when it burrows).

Question now is on whether or not I should decorate it a little more with Lava Rocks / driftwood to create a more natural amazon basin effect. As well as if it is entirely necessary for an Internal heater as my country is summer all year round.

Thank you for taking time to read my Introduction & I look forward to being apart of this community and learning valuable lessons from fellow lovers
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Congo Owner to Be

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Can you get Congo puffers where you are?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
gabeauuu
Puffer Fry
Figure 8 Puffer
Congo Puffer *Soon*

Post by gabeauuu »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
Can you get Congo puffers where you are?
Thanks Pufferpunk. Love your Congo !
Yup yup ! It isnt illegal here and they are available just not much hobbyist are into them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, not a very exciting fish, unless they're hungry.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
gabeauuu
Puffer Fry
Figure 8 Puffer
Congo Puffer *Soon*

Post by gabeauuu »

I guess its excitement is in the little movements it makes. Got me worrying a little when I noticed nothing more than eye movements at the LFS I was at.

LFS owner is a friend though and assured me that it is its character traits to not move much. Haha. Do you use a heater in your setup ?