Freshwater Puffer Help

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
memphis
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Freshwater Puffer Help

Post by memphis »

Hey puffer fans,

I recently set up a 20 gallon tank but am looking to move to a 55 gallon in the next few months. I owned a few green spotted puffers years ago and learned quickly that this is definitely my favorite fish. However, I have a few questions in regards to freshwater puffers before I start getting the best possible environment ready for this new guy.

So here goes, I've laid out my questions in this [hopefully] brief list:
  • 1. Ideally, I would like to get a puffer(s) in my 20 gallon long tank. Which species could I put in here and how many? Also, what is the biggest puffer I could put in here by itself?

2. When I upgrade to a 50 gallon, the same question basically applies: What is the biggest size puffer that could fit in here long-term - and how many?

3. I'm really into the idea of owning just one big puffer fish that dominates his own space/tank - what are the biggest puffers I could go with in terms of these two sized tanks (20 and 50/55 gal)?

4. I'm also a bit curious on filters, what is the ideal setup for a puffer tank of these sizes and species? I currently use 100% sponge filters, but realize this is not going to cut it for a puffer - totally ok, just want to know what I should go with here.
Sorry if I disturb anyone with the newbie questions, I am just very curious as to my limitations for each tank. Unfortunately, I'd love to go way bigger on my aquarium, but I simply dont have the room for anything over 55 gallons at this point. I also don't have a crazy budget, but I am willing to do what it takes to keep one living as long as I, myself, am living. Keep in mind, I would like the possibility of using low light live plants if possible; after seeing live plants, I cannot really tank the plastic stuff serious.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it and am very excited (although going about it very slowly until I can get conditions extremely perfect) to get some puffers going again. I'll be sure to ask more as I learn more :)
Jinty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Scotland

Re: Freshwater Puffer Help

Post by Jinty »

[welcome] I'm sure someone will be able to help soon.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Re: Freshwater Puffer Help

Post by DMD123 »

Welcome to the forum!

I love my hairy puffer. I have him in a 40B with an AC110 filter. I think this is a good footprint and filter combo for lurker types of puffers like mine. I think a good solo puffer for you would be one of the following: Hairy, Congo, Palembang, or Arrowhead.

A good place to start is by researching here: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/

Do your research first and make sure you have a fully cycled tank for your new puffer. Look forward to pictures when you get one.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout