HELP! All new to me-what to put in a 40B

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

HELP! All new to me-what to put in a 40B

Post by DMD123 »

Im not new to fish keeping at all, been doing this for quite a few years but... Im a newbie to puffers. Here is what I have, that I would like to dedicate to a lone puffer. I have a 40B with a AC110 HOB filter, heated and fully cycled. It does have gravel and would like to keep the substrate but if I had to change to sand I could. This tank is all ready for a fish. The problem is what to get.

I dont want to have to deal with snails and what not so I really want a piscivore. I have a list of potential puffers that I think would work as a solo fish in there and just checking to see if Im on the right track. I am looking at the Arrowhead, Congo and Hairy puffers as candidates. Am I missing any other obvious choices for a 40B for life?

I also want it to be an easy feeding and care situation. Do I need to get stuff like crab legs, clams, things in the shell for these piscivore? I know some puffers require the hard items to keep their teeth in check, are the ones on my list needing that? Ive looked at the feeding guide here but they are kind of general and dont really address my questions exactly...

Anyway, any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: HELP! All new to me-what to put in a 40B

Post by Pufferpunk »

Although snails are the best diet for most crustacean-eating puffers, I have to admit I've rarely bothered to feed them & have never bred any. Plenty of easy, crunch foods purchased from my grocery store to keep any puffer happy, even the piscivores, which most of us never feed fish to! Check the Pufferpedia (under the Learn tab) for different species.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Post by Stratters »

I have a Hairy, he's a wonderful puffer, pretty active and LOADS of personality. I don't find him particularly messy, he's very clean provided I do a small water change each day - takes literally 5 minutes. He eats she'll on raw shrimp, earthworms, woodlice, and the odd mussel, when I can find them.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer

Post by DMD123 »

Thanks for the feedback. Since I have been looking at puffers for the past year or so I have seen seen a Congo, an arrowhead and hairy available. Currently I only have a hairy available for purchase and I would have to have it shipped to me which by the time Im done is close to $100, so Im still on the lookout.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

DMD123 wrote: Do I need to get stuff like crab legs, clams, things in the shell for these piscivore? I know some puffers require the hard items to keep their teeth in check, are the ones on my list needing that? Ive looked at the feeding guide here but they are kind of general and dont really address my questions exactly...

Anyway, any help or suggestions is appreciated.
most (not necessarily all) store bought crab is cooked
be sure that any seafood is uncooked/raw when fed to puffers
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer

Post by DMD123 »

eieio wrote:most (not necessarily all) store bought crab is cooked
be sure that any seafood is uncooked/raw when fed to puffers
Thank you for that info.

One thing Ive seen fed that i would consider is live crayfish. Problem is from my understanding of my states law (Washington) these can not be kept.
I am going to have to look carefully in my grocery store with a puffer in mind the next time I shop and see what is available.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. Good on you for researching prior to purchase!
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

The lurker Puffers like the ones you have mentioned have slow growing teeth (beak) when compared to other Puffers like green spots or figure eights. So, you don't have to worry as much about a high crunch diet. My lurker only eats live earth worms and thawed frozen shrimp. He's picky. I've offered other things but that all he wants.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

Oh..forgotten to add.
Find a mom and pop fish store and ask them to get the fish from thier supplier. That way they cover shipping.

Also you might like a turgidus puffer.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

One side note not mentioned in all the good hints and info you have been given so far: Many folks take the term "piscivore" too literally and think such are solely fish-eaters. In captivity (and frequently in the wild, if data is available) tend to be lurking bottom-feeders of whatever walks, glides, or swims by - which really just means lurking for whatever is edible and generally alive and does not notice the lurker until too late. Such critters generally will eat frozen/thawed foods if "trained" to non-live food via tongs, sticks, strings, forceps, or whatever.

One other thing not mentioned so far (unless I missed it) is that live fish are high-risk. That means no pet store guppies or goldfish feeders. If you insist on live fish. home bred and reared are best. Pet store feeders tend to have non-trivial infections by parasites and/or communicable diseases which can be transmitted to your pet fish. "Cleaning" up feeders is long and laborious and far from fool-proof. Don't risk a fish that can live for you 10-20 years and be a real wet pet.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer

Post by DMD123 »

Thanks for all the good information. Just found another puffer available, Tetraodon palembangensis. This one would still cost in terms of shipping but much more affordable.

One of my major concerns was the teeth issue and the need for hard foods. Seems like my list of possible puffers is one where teeth growth is not as fast so I think Ive got the right fish in mind. The problem is finding one I like. I may heave to just special order one. So far just due to the videos Ive seen of its voracious feeding, I really like the Arrowhead. But for color, a red type Congo just cant be beat. But just plain weird is definitely the Hairy, with all the cool skin tags.

So far it seems Im on the right track as to tank size for the ones Im interested in. While I do have the means to take on a Fahaka, I dont want to have to displace my other fish. Maybe one day.....
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Post by Stratters »

Oi, you calling Pig weird? :shock:

He's beautiful. And Frilly. Can't beat a happy pink fish with frills.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

If you can house a fahaka then get one. They are by far the meanest/coolest puffer to keep. I am just twitching to get another one. Obviously the 40 would be no good for this but you are clearly aware of this
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer

Post by DMD123 »

Stratters wrote:Oi, you calling Pig weird? :shock:

He's beautiful. And Frilly. Can't beat a happy pink fish with frills.
Is this the same 'piggy' that thought it needed some 'finger foods'? :lol:

They really are cool but a bit too expensive for me right now, though I could always sell an organ or something....
65B Hairy Puffer
90G red devil
90G Trimac
30G Growout
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer

Post by DMD123 »

bertie 83 wrote:If you can house a fahaka then get one. They are by far the meanest/coolest puffer to keep. I am just twitching to get another one. Obviously the 40 would be no good for this but you are clearly aware of this
Ive got my 210g which would be an awesome home for a Fahaka but then my little 'Porckchop' the Pearsei would need a new home.
Not puffer fluffy, but a big fish none the less

So back to the 40B.... I had mentioned the Dragon/Palembang Puffer, would this also fit the same description as the other three puffers?

And the one thing I really forgot to ask, which puffer of the ones Ive mentioned would you consider having the best personality in general?
65B Hairy Puffer
90G red devil
90G Trimac
30G Growout