Sexing irrubesco, easy or not?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
kalaila
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Denmark

Sexing irrubesco, easy or not?

Post by kalaila »

Hello Puffer Forum

I'm looking for help sexing Carinotetraodon irrubesco.

I'm newly registered, though I've read here before. Last year I bought one C. irrubesco and soon wanted more. I determined that my one Red tail must be male, as it had a red tail and a clear bellystripe. Last week, I heard through the grapevine that a nearby pet store had some C. irrubesco in stock. I went to get some females of this -- supposedly easily sexed -- species.

Now, imagine my headache when all nine fish had red tails, but only some had clear bellystripes. I estimate they were all at least 3cm in length. Two bigger ones looked to be obviously male, with red bellystripes and solid cream and dark colour patches. The rest seemed to be showing stress(?) colouration with no clear markings on the back and sides. In the end, I bought four fish with either no or very little red on the belly.

So, basically, what's the skinny on this lovable fish?

1) Do both sexes have red tails? I know many say no, but I found one post on here that said otherwise. (I'll find it again and link it, if needed) It's certainly possible that all nine fish in the store were male, but I hope not.

2) What about the red bellystripe? And the belly in general? I'm starting to question whether my first red tail is male, since it doesn't show the clear colour patches of the males in the store, nor does its belly seem as clear white. Though I should mention that I'm still fattening up that one, as it was in bad condition when I bought it and it's taken a while to see progress.

I know I should post pictures, but I don't get home until after dark at the moment, and I'm considering going back and getting one of those big males before they're gone.

Confuzzledly, Kalaila (who'll probably have to get another puffer tank either way)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Sexing irrubesco, easy or not?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kalaila
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Denmark

Post by kalaila »

Thank you. I have looked at the Pufferpedia. :) I just found it odd that they'd all be male, especially with some not having the red stripes, while others were textbook male. But I took another look at my new ones this evening and won't buy more just yet. I may well have five males, but I'm pretty sure I can find homes for some of them, if need be.

Cheers, Kalaila
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

That's part of the fun of sexing just about any species of fish. When they are in a fish store they are #1 generally juveniles so they are not yet showing sexual characteristics, and #2, they are stressed out so their colors are dulled and muted and they are not showing what they would show when comfortable, happy and, um, "in the mood".

Generally the best way to get both sexes is to buy at least 6, raise them for a few months and sort them out.. of course you need the funds and tank setups, and, ideally, someone lined up to buy the extra's back from you once you have a pair or trio sorted out. A lot of good stores will give you store credit for fish, so you could start there if that's an option.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

They are easy to sex when they are older, but at 3 cm it can be difficult, because at first all can look like females.
Both sexes can have red tails, but it is far more common on males.
Both sexes can (apparently) have the belly stripe, but again, it is far more common on males.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31696&p=337512
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.