Amazon (sap)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Amazon (sap)

Post by RTR »

Will they easily captive-breed?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

They seem to carry eggs very easily but never seem to release the eggs. Never seen babies in any of my tanks but then again they could easily be sucked into my filters
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Quite a few shrimp families have planktonic larval stages. Providing the right water conditions and food sources is not an easy thing. Only one of our several Gulf coast shrimp has a sufficiently limited larval stage to be easily tank bred.

If the eggs appear tiny (like Amano shrimp), they will be quite difficult to keep fed and protected from filters.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I will try to get a photo of one carrying eggs for you to look at, most of them have now become loach food, the small ones were loved by the puffer
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Loaches do tend to wipe out shrimp colonies for me as well. My very old strain of common guppies are also avid shrimp colony eradicators. They cannot wipe out adults of my strain of captive-bred loang-arm shrimp, but no offspring survive. Any other shrimp colony tried with them has totally eradicated. I never have any luck co-housing potential live foods.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

rtr can you tell me a ittle about these long arm shrimp? these are new to me. At this point my new puffs are not yet in my care, i am expecting a phone call sometime after 8 am to hopefully tell me to come get the little beggars lol. Fingers crossed.
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

All of the Macrobrachium shrimp (long-arm shrimp) known to date, with only one exception, have a planktonic phase, so are difficult to breed in captivity. The Red-claw long-arm shrimp is easy and a decent algae eater, but adults will nip and even capture/kill fish, eggs, and fry, so are not always safe tankemates. They will stael food from bottom-feedng fishBut long-arms are huge family, with many interesting and/or beautiful members (some are huge), so there is still hope that more breedable family members will turn up. Even the red-claw Macrobium is interesting on its own, but not great for co-housing with many critters. A 20-long will support one male and two females. A 33XL tank will support a male and 3-4 females.

The real name seems to be Macrobrachium assamense.