Tankmates for Congo

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Smashtoad
Dwarf Puffer

Tankmates for Congo

Post by Smashtoad »

Hi all,

This is just an FYI that I have had two (Crossocheilus sp.) siamese algae eaters, or siamese flying foxes, if you prefer, living with my Congo joey for almost two months. They seem to have his number, and even when he is buried it is obvious that they know where he is. They are lightning fast (I mean, sometimes it is as if they time travel) and will occasionally buzz him as he hunts rosies. Joey is about 4", and the foxes are about 2.5". They are in a 38 gallon tank.

I am not saying Joey won't eventually get one, but they seem to know what's up with him. While I floated them in the bag before addition, Joey hit the bag several times, so that introduction may have helped condition them to his nature...who knows.

Great little fish, though...and they will schoal together in larger tanks.
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Re: Tankmates for Congo

Post by suvattii2012 »

I think joey will eat them one night. Wanna bet £10? lol
Arrowhead
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

In a tank that small he will defo get them. Will also bet £10 they will be gone in 6 mths. I have 2 and they are brave enough to sit with my fahaka
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Smashtoad
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Smashtoad »

bertie 83 wrote:In a tank that small he will defo get them.
For three fish, none of which is over 4"...a 38 isn't that small. It's 36" long...but I always enjoy identifying examples of FPE (forum passive elitism). Every animal forum I'm a member of is rife with it...little snippy quips to get closer to the food bowl.

He very well may get them eventually, which makes the fact that I don't care very convenient. I was merely pointing out that these fish are very adept at avoiding something that wishes them great, immediate harm.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Tater-tot finally ate his crayfish tank mate, after 2 months of living together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Smashtoad wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:In a tank that small he will defo get them.
For three fish, none of which is over 4"...a 38 isn't that small. It's 36" long...but I always enjoy identifying examples of FPE (forum passive elitism). Every animal forum I'm a member of is rife with it...little snippy quips to get closer to the food bowl.

He very well may get them eventually, which makes the fact that I don't care very convenient. I was merely pointing out that these fish are very adept at avoiding something that wishes them great, immediate harm.

idk if I would call it elitism that you are experiencing on these animal forum sites. Its just that your going to a place where people really really care about the animal (in this case puffer fish) and want to give their animals the absolutely best care they can provide for them. It's less elitism and more passion and some cases obsession.

Elitism - The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by GSPicthus »

I agree with Smashtoad. I have seen several threads where a new person comes on and asks a question and the first response is "I hope you have a big enough tank." not even addressing the issue that was asked. not taking into consideration that this is a novice with a juvenile fish. It always seems to be the same people having that response I think those people are elitist or maybe its my tank is bigger than yours syndrome.

My GSP is in a much larger tank than it needs just because I like GSP's and I had the tank available but some people can only afford a 20 gallon and that is perfectly fine for 1 juvenile GSP for the first year. But because they aren't meeting the requirements of an Adult GSP of 30 gallons then they are looked down on and there question isn't even acknowledged.

I am sure we all started out with a 10 or 20 gallon at one time and now look where we are at. Lets encourage and educate without talking down to people because of the size of there tank.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Just about anything is food to most puffers. Misery is just plan evil when it comes to anything in the tank with him. Saying feeders or anything that would be added. I know not to try it but the guy that I bought my congo from, told me all about a small pleco and chinese algae eater that got destroyed by Misery. So if I add anything in his tank, it will be something that he will eat or just kill because he dont want it swimming around or moving in his tank. He is a cereal killer...lol.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Grow out tanks are fine if they are just that. But to experience proper growth they really need a suitably sized tank. We see growth is slowing and put off upgrading, the fish ends up stunted and doesn't get full size and has a shortened life with health risks. We are not trying to get at people and it certainly is not my tank is bigger than yours! We care about puffers and want the owners to have a stress free experience. This is why the minimum should be adhered to or better still exceeded
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Smashtoad
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Smashtoad »

Just thought you guys might be interested to know that I have since moved Joey and the SAEs into a 27 cube tank. I also added a third SAE to make it more like a school. They really are cool little fish.

I am fully prepared for Joey to get one or all of them eventually, but I'm telling ya, these fish are lightning quick, and even when he is buried it is apparent that they know exactly where he is. It is interesting to watch the SAEs when rosy reds are tossed in for Joey. They seem to greet the rosies and swim around them, unafraid, as Joey picks them off.

Also, I have two more Congos coming on Tuesday, so cross your fingers for me that at least one is tiny and blood red! They are coming into the country right now...so get them while they're hot!
Smashtoad
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Smashtoad »

bertie 83 wrote:This is why the minimum should be adhered to or better still exceeded
The minimum as defined by who?

All aquarium fish are kept in quarters that are a ridiculously poor replacement for their natural habitat.

A single 12" Oscar in a 220 gallon tank is about the same as a congo puffer in a ten gallon...proportionately. Would you say the oscar is under-housed? The Miurus, Suvatti, and Bailyi are not super active fish, and kept with very few tankmates or alone, a 20 gallon long or 29 is enough room for proper growth, provided that good water quality is maintained. I am not arguing that bigger isn't better, I'm just saying that telling someone they cannot have success with a single congo in a fifteen gallon tank is nonsense.

I am only doing 35 - 40% water changes about every other month; my ammonia and nitrites are zero...and nitrates are very low as well. With puffers, IMO, it's all about your level of biological filtration.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Glad to hear that his tankmates are still alive and well for now..lol.

Btw, what country are we talking about? I know this is the season for many of the FW puffers. Seen and heard about Fahakas poppin up here and there and seen a congo for sale here while back but have not seen anymore. There is another member here that has been looking really hard for a congo.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

Smashtoad wrote:

I am only doing 35 - 40% water changes about every other month
ever go for a swim in your toilet? :roll:
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to bertie & eieio's comments.

FYI, the minimum tank sizes specified on this site were set by the more experienced pufferkeepers on this site at that time. FWITW, these days all of my own suggestions would be larger than they were then. All those minimum sizes were and are for the puffer alone, not tankmates w/o larger tanks.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Gooburz »

I have to agree that if you can't afford a proper tank for the fish or proper care then why bother getting them in the 1st place. There are many hobbies that I would like to do but can't because funding doesn't allow it, same goes for aquariums. Not to mention you can find some KILLER deals on Craigslist on just about any tank imaginable. I just found 2 different 40Gal long "breeder" tanks with stand, hood, light, filter, gravel, and deco for $100. Just the stands alone are over $100, not to mention those tanks go for about $70, another $40-50 for the gravel, $30-40 for hood/light. I mean you are getting about a $300+ setup for a fraction of the price.