Tankmates? Yes or a NO NO!!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Jamesgok
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Folkestone, Kent, England

Tankmates? Yes or a NO NO!!

Post by Jamesgok »

Hey! New to the forum!
Ive been doing alot of research on puffers recently, there is so much conflicting information. Im trying to aquire the Irrubesco Puffer, one thread the Irrubesco is perfect for a community the next its a pitball that rips anything to shreads! . If you could share your experience's with tankmates irrebesco or not!
Thanks
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Tankmates? Yes or a NO NO!!

Post by RTR »

IMHO & IME, puffers are not community fish, period. In my tanks that is an absolute No! No!
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

I got a red eyed freshwater puffer. Im 100% certain all red eyed species are not community fish from experience and reading online like you. I dont think the ones that say they are community fish are reliable sources.
Kind regards,
Terrance
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

People may have had short term success with juveniles. Probably plonked them in and saw no immediate aggression so said they are fine. I bet if you asked those people 6 months later they had a single puffer in their tank as everything else was most likely ripped apart.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I've had/have 3 irrubesco so far, all in community tanks, one for about 5-6 years, one around 7 years and one for 2-3 years. Two were completely harmless to every other tank mate but livebearer fry. One has apparantly killed a weak Dermogenys and was eating Red cherry shrimps (but not enough to keep the population from wastly growing). Interestingly, they all very rarely ate snails of various kinds, though. Even fin nipping was not visible despite large finned ornamental guppies being with them most of the time.

I wouldn't call them good community fish, losses can occur, but you cannot compare C. irrubesco to red eyed Monotrete species such as turgidus or cochinchinensis, even C. lorteti, salivator and probably borneensis are much more problematic with regard to tankmates.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Mine were terrors in a tank with some plecos. I had to remove the puffers in less than a week, thankfully I had another tank for them. They chewed my other fish all up.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
taly
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Abei, 2x Salivator, 3x Irrubesco

Post by taly »

I have had a salivator pair with 10 tigerbarbs... The tigerbarbs had to go because they took all the food.
Think it would be the same for the irrubesco.
...And I have had my irrubesco with the salivator pair.
Some puffers go well together with the right conditions but puffers with other fish? NO... :P
natalie
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Taly. We should not suggest mixing puffers, it always ends in fights/death. Give it time, it may work short term
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly