Tips on feeding my Suvattii

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Tender
Puffer Fry

Tips on feeding my Suvattii

Post by Tender »

Hi!
I have a Suvattii which has been in my tank since december. He eats well and seems to do fine. I mostly feed him Scampi which seems to be very popular :) I have also tried defrosted cod. He reluctantly eats it, but not in in such proportions as when i use Scampi. It seems to me that using just Scampi will become a little monotonus and I`m looking for some input as to what alternative food i shuld use? I guess shrimp will work also, so I will try this. But do you have any other ideas as to what I should feed him? I live in Norway, and using live fish is illegal so that is not an option. (Nor would I want to use this, even if I could)

Kind regards
Marius Podolski
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: Tips on feeding my Suvattii

Post by Nick »

Earthworms, my puffers go crazy for them.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
rtc
Puffer Fry

Post by rtc »

Tender wrote:Hi!
I have a Suvattii which has been in my tank since december. He eats well and seems to do fine. I mostly feed him Scampi which seems to be very popular :) I have also tried defrosted cod. He reluctantly eats it, but not in in such proportions as when i use Scampi. It seems to me that using just Scampi will become a little monotonus and I`m looking for some input as to what alternative food i shuld use? I guess shrimp will work also, so I will try this. But do you have any other ideas as to what I should feed him? I live in Norway, and using live fish is illegal so that is not an option. (Nor would I want to use this, even if I could)

Kind regards
Marius Podolski
illegal feeding your puff with live fish ? what u meant?
sometimes i even throw them to the wall if i get pissed off catching them with net...
jimi
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Tetraodon biocellatus :karma and Vipaka
1 Carinotetraodon Lorteti : gir
1 Auriglobus modestus :big red
1 Takifugu ocellatus : shark bait
Other
1 : Apteronotus albifrons
1 : Stigmatogobius sadanundio
2 : Brachygobius xanthozona
3 : Epalzeorhynchus frenatus.
4 : Pantodon buchholzi
6 : Xiphophorus helleri

Post by jimi »

thats a weird thing to make illigal.
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

mussel
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Hi Tender. Nice to see you in here! :D
[welcome]
You can't hide from me here either. :wink: :lol: I've got another name, but you should recognize my avatar. Did you see Koseklumpen's greetings to your suvattii? I hope he turns out all well.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Tender
Puffer Fry

Post by Tender »

Hi Troender!
Yes, I know very well who you are, and I`m really happy to se you in this forum aswell :D :D
Tell Koseklumpen that VV says thanks!!!

I`m away on work at the moment so I`m not quite sure how the Suvattii is doing. But my 11 year old daughter is coming to my house to change water on all my 11 tanks tomorrow, so I`ll get an update then. I`m pretty sure that it`s IP in one form or another because she is very eager to get the food, but spits it out after just one bite. As I said on AF: Levamisole is what I will try first. This is highly effective on my Botias. But I wont start treatment until I get home on the 29th. Because treatment with Levamisole has to be monitored quite closely. Risk of overdose is much higher/dangerous than with Flubenol. This is a bit OT, but it is related to my thread in the sense that I was worried about the fish not getting varied enough food because it seemed uninterested in eating as much as usual. But after having tried many different kinds of food I`m thinking that IP`s is quite probable.

Kind regards
Marius
puffertt77
Suspended
My Puffers: Mbu Puffer named Naboo
South American Puffer named Bollo RIP :(
3 Dwarf Puffers yet to be named
Red Eye Red Tailed Puffer - Returned to LFS for being to vicious
Porky the Porcupine
Pup the Dogface

Post by puffertt77 »

Try snails

I've also just started giving my puffers a piece of raw salmon and they love it. I wouldn't feed this all the time though as it's quite a fatty fish

Also try Crickets, Naboo my Mbu likes them but he only seems to like biting their heads off :)
Image Image
Tender
Puffer Fry

Post by Tender »

Thanks for the tip :D
The tank is full of tiny snails. Something which is quite remarkable as it used to be a Loach/Botia tank. I thought they were wiped out, but after the Suvattii moved in they have made a comeback. The snails might actually be the reason for an IP infestation. They carry a lot of sh**t.

Maybe I`ll try salmon. Coming from Norway, thats pretty easy to get hold of :D
Thanks!!!