Request for Correction

This forum is now archived.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Request for Correction

Post by RTR »

No, I am not a Wikipedia Warrior. I am a research scientist and lifelong hobbyist who has applied science to his hobby.

No rational hobbyist maintains tanks at pH 6.0 w/o cause, largely because of the difficulty in maintaining biological filters at that level and the general instability of extremely soft acid water and the difficulty and expense of mods required to achieve those levels. Few hobbyists can or would be willing to support flow-through or over 100% daily change systems of such water. That is especially true a it is not at all required for the long-term health of the fish.

Many, many hobbyists maintain Rift Lake inhabitants at normal tank pH levels, which for tap waters in this country tend to run at pH from ~6.5 to 8.0 or a bit more. The fish do not die. They even breed regularly and routinely. Even the blackwater fish with egg membrane sensitivity to the alkali earth metals grow and live perfectly well at normal tank pH levels outside of the period of egg fertilization through hatching. The young and adults are not kept year-round in flood stage water. Captive fish keeping as a hobby is not at all the practice of matching any particular transient level of pH or other parameter equal to the wild conditions. I have no idea where that concept occurred, but it so far from standard practice as to be absurd. No lfs and very few fish hobbyists would have the background or the funds to support water withe seasonal matches to those conditions seen in the wild, even if they had the interest.

Hobby fish properly maintained, which very definitely does not include matching wild conditions, stay healthy and reach or exceed wild size (common among the rift lakes species) and live far longer than their wild counterparts. The majority of the fish in the trade are captive bred (although not always well), and even the "difficult" families such as puffers are beginning to be hobby-bred and one is routinely commercially bred. By the next generation of hobbyists many more will be. Commercial breeding will follow, or may even precede hobby breeding as it has for a number of reef and other marine species.

A scientist expects references. Anyone whop purports to be such and says that this condition or some other is required for captive maintenance would by background and training expect to provide such, or equally would expect to have their suggestions at least questioned if not ignored if references were not offered. Reference to the wild conditions do not per se ever imply that such are required in captivity. That would be a separate study. Do you have such to offer? Such would be preferably for the same fish species cited, as many other natives of that river system are routinely hobby kept in local tap water under hobby tank conditions.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

sorry if this is rude, but you seem like just any other troll. Coming in here telling people they are wrong you are right, but yet show nothing to back it up, because your time is to valuable. You look like the "Wikipedia Warrior", you come in here with no proof to anything you have to say. No links to anything you have written, that nice long statement could have easily been just copied and pasted from somewhere else.

Sorry but nothing you say will make anyone on here second guess RTR, PP, and many other experts that have been keeping fish for longer then some of us(included myself) have been alive, and hell probably have fish as old or older then some of us
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:sorry if this is rude, but you seem like just any other troll. Coming in here telling people they are wrong you are write, but yet show nothing to back it up, because your time is to valuable. You look like the "Wikipedia Warrior", you come in here with no proof to anything you have to say. No links to anything you have written, that nice long statement could have easily been just copied and pasted from somewhere else.

Sorry but nothing you say will make anyone on here second guess RTR, PP, and many other experts that have been keeping fish for longer then some of us(included myself) have been alive, and hell probably have fish as old or older then some of us
+1!
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:sorry if this is rude, but you seem like just any other troll. Coming in here telling people they are wrong you are right, but yet show nothing to back it up, because your time is to valuable. You look like the "Wikipedia Warrior", you come in here with no proof to anything you have to say. No links to anything you have written, that nice long statement could have easily been just copied and pasted from somewhere else.

a HUGE +1(but ill post just once :lol:). i dont mean to sound rude either, but if you value your time so much why were you writing(or finding/copying/pasting) all of that? you could have easily linked any sources you may or may not have written from reliable sites. anywhere you go, not just here, and question a forum that has been well established with experts and scientists for years your going to get questioned if you dont initally post sources. my time is valuable too, but if its a question that i can easily answer and link i will do so and not complain about my time being too valuable. joining a forum you help the community learn, whether it be simple questions people might have or correcting an article/profile on fish or care. you obviously wanted to take your valuable time to correct us, now help us believe it. that is all. the proper people WILL take a look and if it seems legit those same people will correct it if correction was needed. all you would have had to do was mention what needs correction and then link something, not try to break it down for RTR and try to make him seem stupid in a 3 post frenzy. sources is literally all we ask, the rest would be done by the experts
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:sorry if this is rude, but you seem like just any other troll. Coming in here telling people they are wrong you are right, but yet show nothing to back it up, because your time is to valuable. You look like the "Wikipedia Warrior", you come in here with no proof to anything you have to say. No links to anything you have written, that nice long statement could have easily been just copied and pasted from somewhere else.

:shock: Harsh.
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Harsh? A bit.

Protective? Definitely :lol:

OP, if you post your name or PM me with it I can look up your published papers. That may clear up some confusion. I'm a little confused by your inability to provide us with references. If this is your area of research then you should be able to provide many references off of the top of your head. Not intending to be rude but as a recent graduate and research assistant I see almost every day just how important it is to be very familiar with the research without having to look it up :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Swimz, buddy that wasnt harsh lol

When people come on here running their mouth and do nothing to back it up, it really irks me
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
sevenyearnight

Post by sevenyearnight »

Seriously...he has plenty of time, time to be argumentative, insulting, and condescending. What he doesn't have are references, if he did he would gladly provide them. He doesn't have credentials, he would proudly present them.
This is a poor fellow who has self esteem issues, and is compensating by creating a "comfort" ego based on his false belief that he is intellectually superior to anyone. Comments like, "I hope I don't have to explain to anyone here what "lower threshold" means." is a perfect example of such. It is a textbook superiority complex; delusions of grandeur.
I honestly feel sorry for people like this, I feel empathy for the void they must have that causes that behavioral problem to manifest.
I suggest some hobbies, preferably some physical exercise. A well balanced life style will help one feel better overall, because that behavior is not healthy.
Last edited by sevenyearnight on Sat May 07, 2011 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think he's coming back. It's too bad, he might have been an interesting addition to our board, we always welcome different opinions & new info. I think it would have been much better if he had introduced himself along with his credentials, before posting conflicting info to our well-educated forum. Being condescending gets you nowhere either...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
greenspottedlover
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Vermont

Post by greenspottedlover »

"Wikipedia Warrior" What? Really?! Ya dumb kid. :lol:
No one trust Sikrus, because it's pretty obvious who the Wikipedia Warrior is. :lol:
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

Pufferpunk wrote:I don't think he's coming back. It's too bad, he might have been an interesting addition to our board, we always welcome different opinions & new info. I think it would have been much better if he had introduced himself along with his credentials, before posting conflicting info to our well-educated forum. Being condescending gets you nowhere either...
That's what I was thinking. :(
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Having someone who has done real field work in SE Asia would have been quite interesting. The Mekong is one of the great river systems of the world, and is suffering badly from human intervention and pollution.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
sevenyearnight

Post by sevenyearnight »

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

:shock:

:roflmfao:

They might still come back. We all have busy lives off of the board.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Black Widow

Post by Black Widow »

sevenyearnight wrote:Sikrus really is a troll:
http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?G ... ID=5268281
hahhaa, so he is. Being serious though to come on here make a statement and then refuse to give references just shows their attempt at trying to cause trouble rather than logical debate. Until references are provided I guess we can say the trolls statement is Null'n'Void :shock: