Takifugu Ocellatus

This forum is now archived.
misterlsn
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Two Wal-Mart GSPs
GSP named Puff Daddy (R.I.P. - Lost fight to IP)
GSP named Biggy Smalls, was able to nurse back to "plumpness" and win the IP fight.
Location (country): Chicago

Takifugu Ocellatus

Post by misterlsn »

Saw two Takifugu Ocellatus at LFS, each about 3~4", one was very actively swimming, the other was buried in the substrate..

They both looked exactly like ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Marine/T_Ocellatus ... 0.JPG.html

Pufferpedia was very vague about these guys. Anyone have or know anything else about these guys?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Takifugu Ocellatus

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

There's an article about them in the PufferPedia, and at least two members own them.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
misterlsn
Puffer Fry
GSP named Biggy Smalls, was able to nurse back to "plumpness" and win the IP fight.

Post by misterlsn »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:There's an article about them in the PufferPedia, and at least two members own them.
Saw the article but it pretty much said that there's not enough info to make conclusions. If it's the rigfht article we're talking about
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

There is lots of experimentation with what will work for these guys. They seem to need a LOT more space than any other puffer their size, easily stress from tankmates, yet can be brutally aggressive, and while marine they frequently burrow. Work with them to date seems to indicate that they like just subtropical temperatues, 62-68, best, full marine conditions, and a low stress lifestyle.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
misterlsn
Puffer Fry

Post by misterlsn »

Thanks, that was not the one I found earlier. Talk about high maintenance!!! Good looking fish but I'm afraid too much for me :( -- Feel bad for the poor guys, they were at a Pet Supply Plus and probably on their way to disaster
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's the Library, not the Pufferpedia. ;) Should be a link to it in the PP though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Oh yeah...

I AM A DUDETTE!

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

They would still have to be classified as experimental in captivity. I had very poor results with them, but back then I did not know about the low temp requirements, and could not met them with my current setups. Their space needs are obvious from their behavior.

They are one of the most striking puffers seen to date, no doubt.
Where's the fish? - Neptune