1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's
Location (country): Holland

ITIS Puffer Classification

Post by KorrepZ »

Yesterday I was noosing around on the website of ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information System), the site where animals are being classified by the right family/species after they were discovered by biologists, and i came around the wierdest coolest unknown puffers! Most of the puffers we know from the databases are the ones we can buy or because atleast one of us have owned one. On ITIS all puffers are indexed by anatomy as they are known by scientists so it's very cool to have a look.

As we know all puffers are classified in the family Tetraodontidaete and they are divided in 2 sub-families; the Canthigasterinae and the Tetraodontinae.

A funny thing to point out btw is that porcupines are not pufferfish but porcupinefish! They fall outside the Tetraodontidaete family and are part of the Diodontidae family (both are part of the sub-order Tetraodontoidei of which all porcupinefish, puffers en tétrodons are part of). So the term "Porcupine puffer" is incorrect. The fish is either a porcupine or a puffer, but not both.

Canthigasterinae

Within the Canthigasterinae sub-family there is only one Genus and that are the sharpnose puffers, the Canthigaster Genus. But within this Genus there are way more species then the 6 sharpnose puffers we currently acknowledge in our database:

Canthigaster Genus (33 species)

Tetraodontinae

Within the Tetraodontinae sub-family there are a lot of different Genus and most of them have several different species:

Amblyrhynchotes Genus (1 species)
Arothron Genus (13 species)
Auriglobus Genus (4 species)
Carinotetraodon Genus (6 species)
Chelonodon Genus ((3 species)
Chonerhinos Genus (2 species)
Colomesus Genus (2 species)
Contusus Genus (2 species)
Ephippion Genus (1 species)
Feroxodon Genus (1 species)
Guentheridia Genus (1 species)
Javichthys Genus (1 species)
Lagocephalus Genus (10 species)
Liosaccus Genus (1 species)
Marilyna Genus (3 species)
Omegophora Genus (2 species)
Pelagocephalus Genus (1 species)
Polyspina Genus (1 species)
Reicheltia Genus (1 species)
Sphoeroides Genus (23 species)
Takifugu Genus (24 species)
Tetractenos Genus (2 species)
Tetraodon Genus (26 species)
Torquigener Genus (19 species)
Tylerius Genus (1 species)

So there are in total 154 different pufferfish discovered and classified but within our puffer-community we only know a little tip of the iceberg!! If you start googling random puffers from this index that you have not heard of you come across the coolest puffers we all probably have never seen before.
Last edited by KorrepZ on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

diverchic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Parent to:
No puffers since moving to work on a boat but looking to get some again now I am back on land.
Location (country): London, UK

Re: Official ITIS Puffer Classification

Post by diverchic »

oooh, some of them are amazing looking!

Thank you for posting that :-)
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Not to detract from this .... but I think Corvus has pointed this out in the past to some extent.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: .
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

well I have searched for ITIS posts before i posted this... nothing came up!
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I just meant that he's touched on the different classifications ... not that there's been anything specifically on ITIS. I wasn't trying to detract from your find, please understand, only saying that Corvus has mentioned the different classifications in the past, although not to the degree of the information you've found.
:sorry:
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Just my personal opinion, but if a fish can puff up I see no harm in calling it a "puffer" as a common name!

Paris for example isn't even a porc, she's a burrfish, but you should see her puff! Spiky basketball floating in my living room! ;)
diverchic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Parent to:
No puffers since moving to work on a boat but looking to get some again now I am back on land.
Location (country): London, UK

Post by diverchic »

Myaj wrote:Paris for example isn't even a porc, she's a burrfish, but you should see her puff! Spiky basketball floating in my living room! ;)
Thank you for that Myaj, I'd been feeling a bit down this morning (for no reason) and that put a BIG smile on my face :D
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

LOL @ Paris. :lol: I really am in love with that fish.

It's interesting to see that they don't use the genus Monotrete at all.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Troender wrote:LOL @ Paris. :lol: I really am in love with that fish.

It's interesting to see that they don't use the genus Monotrete at all.
Yes, it's a little outdated with regard to puffers... like fishbase is in some puffer topics
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

pufferpuggirl wrote:I just meant that he's touched on the different classifications ... not that there's been anything specifically on ITIS. I wasn't trying to detract from your find, please understand, only saying that Corvus has mentioned the different classifications in the past, although not to the degree of the information you've found.
:sorry:
aaaw.. don't worry! I was not offended, I was just pointing out that I tried to find a similar topic first before I posted mine. Just to avoid a double post ;)

But Corvus? on what ground/experience do you claim this is outdated? Aint it so that a trained biologist looked at the fish and classified it? Who are we, as hobbyists to say they are wrong? Or did they later on reviewed their opinion and altered it?

And to all you porcupine lovers! It's not that im telling people not to use the term porc puffer, i just found it a cool fact that i found out on my own that officially they are not classified under puffers but are classified seperately. By all means keep calling them porcupine puffers, I know I will ;)
Troender wrote: It's interesting to see that they don't use the genus Monotrete at all.
Aye... the whole Monotrete Genus is classified under the Tetraodon Genus. I am really interested and intrigued why we classify them as a seperate Genus. Do you know why Corvus?

Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

I don't pay too much attention to genus names, but I do believe not too long ago "they" changed all the classifications around a bit, I remember having to change some of the scientific names in the Pufferpedia to reflect the new classifications.
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Ah that explains a lot. Wonder why they did not alter it on ITIS tho. I thought the ITIS was the official site for classification. Guess there is another site? Or are they just lazy?

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

I got lost in a link loop without any pics :(
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

the links only show the listing of the Genus species ;)

if you want pwetty pictures, just start image googling random names 8)

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

nope nope ... personally I don't like it. It is not idiot friendly. I took this as an exaample:
Tylerius spinosissimus prickle blaasop

When I googled the images I got a few different results, which would add to the confusion. If they posed the pic of the fish they used to make the determination that would eliminate confusion. Who's to say the pic results from google are not mislabeled? Without a detailed description of the specimen taken.. names are just that..
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q