Dwarf puffers/species

This forum is now archived.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Dwarf puffers/species

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

http://dwarfpuffers.com/ (You have to click on "Scientific Names" at the top - the link is weird.)

Perhaps this should be covered in the PufferPedia?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Re: Dwarf puffers/species

Post by Agnate »

I believe it's still just speculation in terms of whether or not they require a different classification, or if they're simply a variant of each other. Remember, Dwarf Puffers are now bred, so we're bound to see a plethora of variants and mutations as time progresses. There's no real need to mention the minute differences, especially since our PufferPedia only covers the very basic care required, and both "kinds" of DP are similar-looking enough that people won't be confused.

That's my two cents, at least.
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I thought it might be helpful for people who hear multiple things to say something along the lines of "there's speculation, blah, blah, but don't worry about it, the differences aren't important" you know? But if there's no controversy over this as I thought there might be, then never mind. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't important, just that it doesn't really apply to the PufferPedia if they aren't a different variant.

As it stands, we don't have entries for a few puffer species that look are very close, but have different scientific names (such as Carinotetraodon somphongsi, for instance).
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

I admin at http://www.dwarfpuffers.com and I tell people to just assume there is no difference, because if there is, we don't really know it. I have seen DPS that look one way when young, but totally different a year later, and other DPs which looked very similar throughout their life, most of the time - but under specific conditions totally change patterns. One of my large dwarf puffers, when moved to a VERY bright tank with tons of red plants, went from having nearly solid blue coloration to a shade that much better matches the new tank and shows more stripes/spots. Another dwarf puffer, going through the same move, has the exact same colors he's always shown, olive, with lots of little black dots and an especially bright belly.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.